turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Single

I recently divorced, no dependents. I know I need to change my filing status to single/married filing separately. To make sure enough is taken out of my paycheck, I should claim zero correct? I also have a little extra taken out of my paycheck just in case I may owe at the end of the year. 

The second part to my question is that when filing for 2022, I need to file single on my tax return, but in doing so that is for the whole year correct vs. just when the divorce is final?  If I changed my status to single mid way through the year, will that cause me to owe more because the first part of the year I was married? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Filing Single

Hello jmom623!

The W-4 form is different as of 2020 and had no place to claim exemptions. Therefore, you do not need to worry about that. However, you are correct that you can now change your filing status to single only if:

• If your divorce became final on or before December 31, 2021, you're not married for that year
  • On the other hand, if your divorce wasn't finalized until after December 31, then you file MFJ or MFS

Here is a link to more information on that : https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/divorced/L8CGyT8l1_US_en_US?uid... 

The filing status : Single is less generous that the MFJ or MFS, meaning you will owe more taxes when using this status. Here is the link to the IRS tax table to see the differnce: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/income-taxes/federal-tax-rates-2021/L5Iz... 

Should you decide to withhold more taxes this year then you can do the following on the W-4, Step 4(c) - enter any additional tax you want withheld each pay period.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
johnd84
Employee Tax Expert

Filing Single

Hi jmom623,

Thanks for your question. So your filing status is determined based on your marital status on 12/31/2022. If your divorce is final you will file single assuming you have no dependents. Your marital status on New Year's Eve applies to the whole year. 

It sounds like you are referring to the old form W4 (pre 2020). If that is the case, you will only fill out Step1 of the new form W4. Since you have no dependents you won't enter anything in Step 3 of the form. In Step 4c you can have extra withholdings on each paycheck. I hope this helps! 

JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Filing Single

Hi!

Filing statuses are effective for the year, no matter when filed in the year. As an example, If you divorced on 12/12/2021, your divorce, for tax purposes is considered to be 01/01/2021. No penalty attaches to this status.

The W-4 is perfect for you. You only need to complete Step 1, Step 4C, and Step 5. Just be sure to add the additional $$$amount you wish to include on 4C

Good Luck to you!

OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Filing Single

Hello jmom623!

The W-4 form is different as of 2020 and had no place to claim exemptions. Therefore, you do not need to worry about that. However, you are correct that you can now change your filing status to single only if:

• If your divorce became final on or before December 31, 2021, you're not married for that year
  • On the other hand, if your divorce wasn't finalized until after December 31, then you file MFJ or MFS

Here is a link to more information on that : https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/divorced/L8CGyT8l1_US_en_US?uid... 

The filing status : Single is less generous that the MFJ or MFS, meaning you will owe more taxes when using this status. Here is the link to the IRS tax table to see the differnce: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/income-taxes/federal-tax-rates-2021/L5Iz... 

Should you decide to withhold more taxes this year then you can do the following on the W-4, Step 4(c) - enter any additional tax you want withheld each pay period.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies