turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Rejected due to "error in turbotax software" -- TT asked me to fix it, but the software error is still there. Schedule H. What do I do?

- Fed filing rejected due to Sched H error
- TT says, "Your filing was rejected. Filing rejected due to error in Turbotax software, we apologize." Asked me to go back in to Sched H and try again.
- Error is in Schedule H -- again, this is a TT software problem, not a user error. I figured they fixed the calc error. It's really easy.
- I agree with TT that TT is in error. SSA calcs on w-2 / w-3 that on $8250 of cash wages, should gross up to $8933 due to $683 of taxes (FICA plus medicare)
-- TT still calculates a number different than $683. So I don't want to "resend" the return in
- BOTTOM LINE -- Software error in TT still exists. So what do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing Rejected due to "error in turbotax software" -- TT asked me to fix it, but the software error is still there. Schedule H. What do I do?

I was just on with two different TT reps -- one a tech rep, and one a CPA. (I am a CPA and EA.)

Tech rep found nothing amiss.

CPA rep basically agrees TT is not producing the right numbers. She said, "But they printed the software is fixed?!" I said, "That's probably just an auto-reply. It's not fixed."

MY SOLUTION -- TT was spitting out tax burden that was too high if you put gross wages in the boxes. I decided to submit with "too high taxes" -- wasn't a lot, $45. I hope Fed will accept. Maybe it is lost money but better to pay an extra $45 than to keep working on this.

The problem is if Feds reject this submission again... then TT actually does have to produce the right tax numbers in order for the online submission not to be rejected. Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

As additional info,

Turbotax is calculating $652 of FICA + medicare even after it told me to go back in.

But SSA (correctly) calculates it as $683.

Again, the combined tax rate is 7.65%. And it's 7.65% of $8933 gross wages that produces $683, and that results correctly in $8250 of cash wage payout. So TT remains in error.

The TT email on the Fed Tax rejection is this: "US_Schedule_H -- We've identified a potential issue in your federal tax return DUE TO AN ERROR IN OUR SOFTWARE." Which we agree with. But I need to get TT to say $683 and not $651, which it's saying right now.

Same just got rejected and it’s not correcting the error. Can I get a refund and File with somebody else this is ridiculous it keeps taking me back to the same error and I don’t know how to fix it they said sorry it’s our software made an error well they didn’t fix the software obviously so why shouldn’t I get my money back girl

I was just on with two different TT reps -- one a tech rep, and one a CPA. (I am a CPA and EA.)

Tech rep found nothing amiss.

CPA rep basically agrees TT is not producing the right numbers. She said, "But they printed the software is fixed?!" I said, "That's probably just an auto-reply. It's not fixed."

MY SOLUTION -- TT was spitting out tax burden that was too high if you put gross wages in the boxes. I decided to submit with "too high taxes" -- wasn't a lot, $45. I hope Fed will accept. Maybe it is lost money but better to pay an extra $45 than to keep working on this.

The problem is if Feds reject this submission again... then TT actually does have to produce the right tax numbers in order for the online submission not to be rejected. Fingers crossed.

Just to note, the post above is marked a solution but it is not a real solution. Turbotax is still in error.

I have same problem

Line 14 of Schedule H - amount in Box 14 prints too far to the left leaving Box 14 empty.

Do you have the same issue or am I alone? 

Doug

I was originally trying to amend a return to include a form I missed and add credits that were not available when I filed. I have found several bugs in TurboTax software in the last 2 days. Information not populating into forms, populating the wrong information, and miscalculation of numbers. In addition to sections erroring out. I clicked help and got a call from someone. Who told me to delete the section and start over, I explained I had done that twice and although I deleted it pieces of the deleted information remained in the forms that I could not remove. This is a technical issue, I can not edit the form manually online and needed someone to clear it. This was not an option, and apparently her team is also tech support but did not have access to edit forms either or to submit a bug report. She then suggested I deleted everything and start over, prompting me to hang up.

This prompted me to want to check my other recent year returns for errors. The IRS accepts 1040x efiles now for amendments of 2019 to present and per TurboTax website they offer this https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691... 

However, the TurboTax system only gives me the option to e-file amendments of 2021, 2020 I can amend online but says I have to print and email it, and 2019 says I have to download the software to even amend my return. I got a call back from the help desk again. After about a 30 minute hold the lady came back and said she was advised that unless I paid for live support technical issues with the service I already paid for can not be provided. I do not need live tax help this is a technical issue. The woman agreed but said she had no way to assist me. This is not the first time TurboTax has tried to force me to pay for unwanted services. Last year I clicked to upgrade to include more forms, but turned out I did not need them. However the system was not capable of downgrading even after deleting my return and starting over. They told me once upgraded you are stuck at that level. She gave me a coupon code to offset my cost, but this was while the free file class action was going on. I noticed this year when I started to file it tried to force me into that $110 level again.  I am escalating this to the attorney general, IRS and after reading comments like those below considering contacting a class action attorney regarding their buggy inaccurate software and and manipulative sales techniques.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies