turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing gets rejected with 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you filed a joint tax return in 2018, your AGI and your spouse's AGI is the same number.

The IRS requires your 2018 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI because those are manually processed.

There are a few places you can get your 2018 AGI:

• If you filed your 2018 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2018, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on page 2, line 7. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2018 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2018 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

If you are sure that the AGI you entered is correct, and the IRS continues to reject it, you will have to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for responding. I did confirm my AGI from IRS get-transcript website as well. I got an online version of my previous yr tax document and put in the same amount.

Also how many time can we try to file online before paper filing becomes the only option ? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have already verified the AGI amounts from the IRS get transcript website and the numbers I was entering for me and my wife were correct. Looks like this could be something out of my control and I will have to paper file. 

One last question, would you know if calling IRS can help fix it ? as in they providing me a pin  etc ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies