turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Filing 2019 Taxes in 2020

I recently got married in June 2019. I changed my filing status from Single to Married Filing Jointly. i just received my W-2 and 1098-T from the college i attend. My wife worked over the summer last year and we received her W-2. She finished her bachelor's degree last May, but had her student loans roll over into her master's program that she is taking now. However, my wife did make payments on the interest while she was in college for her bachelor's degree. When i file my taxes from 2019, do i include my wife's W-2 and 1098-T on my Federal and State Tax Return? When i e-file on turbotax.com, will it give me the option to say i recently got married and now i'm Married Filing Jointly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will want to file Married Filing Jointly and include you wife's W2 and 1098T on the return.  She should also receive a 1098E for the interest she paid on student loans.  TurboTax will ask you if you have had any life changes, such as getting married.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just finished filing my wife's and I W-2s, 1098s, and other documents. I just found out that i had a 1099-SA form i forgot to file. My federal and state return was accepted and now i am awaiting payment. Does this form make a difference whether or not i file it? and if so, how hard is it to file an amended return on TurboTax online? when can i do this?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Now that your return as accepted by the IRS you will have to wait until your taxes are fully processed and receive your refund Then you will have to log back into your return and and enter your 1099-SA.

You will then amend your return by entering the form 1099-SA. The amended 1040-X will not be available until mid-February.

Form 1040X can't be e-filed per IRS regulations.

After you finish amending in TurboTax, we'll guide you through printing and mailing your 1040X along with any required attachments.

Three weeks after mailing your amendment, you can start tracking it at Where's My Amended Return? on IRS.gov. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies