Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@kim_stone 

Assuming you are someone "Who Must File" per the IRS instructions, did your HRB return include Form 8960?

If it is not, that would explain why your return was accepted (no basis for the IRS to "erroneously" reject).

If it is included, and Lines 4a/b/c are filled in the same way as with TT, we may be able to say this is a TT-specfic issue...

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

How long did it take for your hrb to be approved. I went ahead and I filed with them also on Saturday and I am still pending. 

I just received a call from Turbo Tax after I filed a credit card chargeback. The representative told me that they had an internal meeting this morning about this issue, and they expect to have this fixed by tomorrow. 

@meganetrix 

MONEY TALKS!

I sure hope they're right about what they told you...

EDIT: I wonder if this means that TaxAct et.al. will have also a solution soon too?

an hour maybe....

I have the same issue. I used the desktop version of TT and e-filed but was rejected for error F8960-014. I then went to TT online and reentered all of my tax info (a few hours of effort) and it too was rejected for the same issue. I am going to ask TT for a refund of at least one of the platforms, not that it was their fault, but I did have a telephone conversation with one TT employee who said there were no known issues with F8960. So much for that.

I just checked another discussion forum (Reddit). At least one user said they refiled using Taxact. Their return was rejected for the same reason. That suggests further that this goes beyond TT. Who knows what changes people are making to the return to get it to go? Some were able to delete the 8960 form others were not. I cannot seem to find a place to delete it. Until someone actually gets their refund after trying another service, I am going to wait. I hope someone lets us know.

Hi there! What was the result with the IRS? Any updates? TIA! 🙃

@meganetrix oh my! this would be tremendous news, and I would applaud their proactiveness if they are able to get this hammered out ASAP in light of the IRS' shortcomings.

Mine was rejected again for F8960-019-04.  Only my second attempt.

I noticed that the https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-schema/ty2022-known-issues-and-solutions.xlsm updated on the IRS site says mid Feb/March for a fix.

TT actually "called" you???? I'm impressed.

I hope what they told you about an internal "fix" is correct.

I aloo hope TT lets ALL of us know when that "fix" has been implemented. Do NOT want another Fed e-file rejection!

Please update this Forum if you are able to re-file with TT and not be rejected.

cjampala
Returning Member

The link given in the previous comment about the IRS proposed solution date is not working. Got a 404 error message

cjampala
Returning Member

Seems to me, the bugs are at the IRS level itself. I do not see where in Schedule 1 it refers to entry from Form 8960 (I see that in Schedule 2).

Also, the rejection says that the threshold for entry should be 125000, but TT automatically calculates it to be 250000 for 'married filing jointly' filers and does not allow the user to change it manually. This could be fixed on the TT side, but not sure if IRS would still take it

I filed with HRB (accepted by IRS) and checked the docs this morning and 8960 is completed, looks to be the same as the TT form submitted.    

So it looks like if your MAGI is $250,000 or above, form 8960 is automatically added to your return, even if you don't have investment or rental property income.  It was included in my return just for having interest from a savings account (form 1099-INT).  So if you made too much money this year you cannot delete 8960.  You just have to wait until Mid-March, or whenever the IRS actually allows this form to be ready.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies