turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlpone

Extension for tax preparation and submission.

Miscellaneous challenges.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Do you need help with anything specific? It's best to provide details and an actual question so that you can be helped. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
taylor123
Returning Member

notice from irs to pay late penalty that was not shown when filed 2019 taxes using Turbo tax

The TT program may compute an estimated underpayment penalty or the user can choose to skip it and let the IRS or state  compute it but it is only an estimate.   The fed/state have the right to compute their own penalty based on when you filed and paid ... they will mail you a bill. Read it carefully ... if you don't agree then follow the instructions on the notice.

Carl
Level 15

A late payment penalty has nothing to do with when you *FILE* your taxes. It has everything to do with when you *PAY* your taxes and the date the IRS credits that payment.

Now if you filed your 2019 taxes late (which would be after July 15th, 2020) and paid the IRS after that date, then a late penalty is due. The best the TurboTax program can do is *ESTIMATE* the payment based on your actual filing date, if you actually filed after July 15th. But like I said, the actual amount of any late payment penalties and/or interest is bsaed on the tax payment date; not the filing date. Therefore once the IRS receives payment, it is customary for them to bill you separately via USPS for any additional interest and/or late payment or late filing fees that may be due. Pay them in a timely manner (by the deadline shown on the letter) and you're done. Otherwise, your nightmare has just begun.

Marty25

I already have a federal & NY extensions so I did not need to use the TurboTax extension function. In the N.Y. input it asked if I had a N.Y. extension to extend the filing date but I cannot find @any input on the federal to reflect the extended due date of 10/15/20

I cannot find @any input on the federal to reflect the extended due date of 10/15/20

That is because there is no such place in the federal interview ... the only thing you would enter is if you had sent a payment with the extension ... you don't need to tell the IRS you filed one, they already know. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies