turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drbob77
Returning Member

Error on my W-2

I have $0.62 excess Social Security taxes withheld on my W-2. Can I correct this error myself? Or do I have to actually get a W-2c?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Error on my W-2

Can you round the amount down or just leave off the cents?  How much is in box 3?  If it's that close just enter the max in box 4 $8,537.

drbob77
Returning Member

Error on my W-2

Box 3 says $755.15. By the 6.2% it says it should be $754.51. I didn't know if I could correct that myself and keep going.

Error on my W-2

@drbob77 wrote:

Box 3 says $755.15. By the 6.2% it says it should be $754.51. I didn't know if I could correct that myself and keep going.

Seems that it would be a non-error since the IRS requires rounding to the nearest dollar and both numbers round to $755.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
drbob77
Returning Member

Error on my W-2

I don't know that is what TurboTax said.

drbob77
Returning Member

Error on my W-2

I meant Box 3 said $12,169.50. Box 4 says $755.15.

Error on my W-2

Then box 4 on your W-2 is incorrect.  Ask your employer for a corrected W-2.  However, it will make no difference on your tax return  whatsoever, unless you had other employers and the total SS tax exceeded the maximum.   

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies