turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error message that says my return cannot be saved. Using Premier for Mac

I keep getting an error message that my return was not autosaved.  When I try to save it manually I get another error message that says my return cannot be saved.  It will not let me e-file without saving the return.  I'm very frustrated.  Anyone have any advice?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

92 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using the desktop version of Turbo Tax, be sure to click on "Check for Updates" and update your software if needed. If that doesn't work you can manually update your software.

I’ve updated every time I open Turbo Tax. I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Neither thing solves my issue.  The problem still exists. I continue to get the message “your return has not been saved” and therefore it won’t let me file electronically. 

Do your files save to a virtual server such as onedrive, is it up to date? try 'save as' instead of 'save', then try saving to your desktop. I had the same problem and that was my workaround. Good luck.

I, too, have often been unable to save my working return file.  I am using a disk copy of Deluxe with Mac OS Catalina.  I have performed many TurboTax updates, most times that I use the software over the past month or so.  A pop-up says that the autosave could not be done because I do not have write permission on the file.  The pop-up says to check the Finder Get Info for the file, which always says that I have read and write permissions.  I select "Save Anyway" on the pop-up and still get the indication that my file has not been updated.  I save my latest working file under a new file name to preserve my latest work at the end of a session.  When I check Get Info for my previous working file, sometimes it has been saved during my work session, in spite of the pop-up.  I now have half-a-dozen versions of my working file saved with different names and dates, however I am done with my taxes for this year.  Maybe it will work better next year!  Hope, Hope!

After having the same failure while trying to save a duplicate, I saved onto the desktop rather than in a folder. It's bad enough to have to do taxes without a hinky program.

This is the kind of c.s. stuff that makes me want to switch to another provider, Lord knows there are lots of options.  I have had the same experience: no autosave, no manual save, no save anyway, no move to desktop, no save as a new name.  I have looked at everything recommended, such as permissions, get info, etc., and they are all in the correct position.

Go ahead and blame the Mac.  But Turbotax has given me more recent updates than Mac.  That is, Turbotax has been updating it program since Mac came out with Catalina.  Seems to me the last clear chance to correct the problem lies with Intuit and Turbo Tax, not Mac.  And, from the dates of the complaints online in the Intuit community it has been a known issue for months which Intuit has not fixed.

And the suggestion is to shut down the computer and restart?  Why should I believe that after I have spent about 9 hours entering and checking info, just today

I have used Turbotax exclusively for more than 10 years.  Not anymore.

@cashmoney643  

I don't use a Mac, but I'll see if Community Champ @ macuser_22  has anything to add to the thread tomorrow that might assist you.

Whatever you decide, if your product issues are not resolved, you may be able to ask for a refund under the 60-day satisfaction guarantee using the online refund request form.

FAQ:  TurboTax satisfaction guaranteed refund policy.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/our-turbotax-satisfaction-guaranteed-refund-...

Any luck getting resolution?  I am fighting with the same issue.  I am pretty sure I have set all of the permissions correctly.  This is the first time having this issue with TurboTax.  

If you wish to speak to TurboTax Support about this issue, here's how to reach them.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

You can use this contact form to get a phone number or possibly schedule a call back.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

I stand by my earlier comments about following suggestions and checking all the permissions, and the difficulty I had saving the file in one place or another.  However, in a manner I cannot explain, for some reason unknown, I actually was able to save the file to my desktop.  I just kept clicking on the save button.  I can't give guidance because I can't explain what happened to make it work.

Once I did get it to the desktop I experienced the beach ball of death and had to force quit Turbo Tax, losing data in the process.  

Thank you. I did the same and it finally saved to the icloud. 

Good luck!

Apparently a major defect in TurboTax. I'm getting it right now, on tax day, so no E-filing and I have to waste reams of paper and ride it over to the post office. That is pathetic.

When your program can't even save a file to the local disk (a file that it created minutes before), it's time to get out of the business.

A sampling of the many reports on this defect:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/can-t-save-document/00/1068534
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/error-message-that-says-my-return-cannot-be-s[pro...
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-do-i-save-turbotax-2019-on-mac-keeping-gettin...
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-having-problem-saving-document-says-that-i-don...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4712960

It appears that TurboTax fails to request "full disk access." You have to go into System Preferences / Security & Privacy and give TurboTax full disk access. I don't know why it's allowed to initially create the file but then never update it, but that's probably an Apple issue.

thaocpa80
Returning Member

I'm trying to use Turbotax 2020 and get this error message "The document  could not be saved. The file is locked" and I tried to click on the unlock option but it was already unlocked.  Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies