turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Error in transmission - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax. This solved my problem. No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when your are done. Then go back to you return an continue filing. 

ofarris95

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I tried to change the foreign address to a US address and US number and it still wouldn't' work

Dude you saved my day!

As @Jham100 said, Invalid SMS Number is the key.

Solution: Intuit Account -> Sign In & Security -> Phone (change & save no need to verify) -> back to e-file and retry.

Thank you so much for finding a solution!! This worked for me.  What a massive waste of time searching for a solution, and what a ridiculous glitch in their system.  I spent over an hour on the phone with TurboTax Tech yesterday, they’re not even aware that this is the problem or solution.  Hopefully they’ll see your post.  

I followed these exact steps last night and continued to receive the error message. Waited until this afternoon and tried it again and it just worked. Not sure why, but hey, I'll take it.

As previously mentioned, I went to my Intuit Account settings (this is separate from any information, numbers, or addresses you have listed on your return as it's just to do with your Intuit Account,) and changed my number listed under Sign In & Security. For me, I used my US Google Voice number and had them send a text message with a code so that I could verify. 

Once I'd input the code from the text message it displayed a little green 'verified' notice next to the listed phone number. At that point I went back to TurboTax and hit file. When I got to the last step it said that I could track my return status via email, but it also now had a checkbox to receive text message updates with my number there, which was not previously present. 

I checked the box just in case, hit file, crossed my fingers, laid out my receipts around my desk in the shape of a pentagram, threw some salt over my shoulder, and some combination of those things seemed to appease the TurboTax Gods. That bad boy is filed.

rnrforrester
Returning Member

I am in South Africa and are having the same issue despite getting on to Turbo Tax  They could not solve it either and said the tech is too busy as they change the program every day. Maybe they will load last years which worked well!! The program is updated 24 hours after you fail . I am not giving up if I find a solution will revert

Keep well keep safe arround the world

rnrforrester
Returning Member

Thank you for pinpointing the error -- problem solved Keep well

Ok, finally got it filed.  First I tried to remove the foreign phone number from the Turbo Tax profile and that didn't fix it.  Then added a US phone number for the Turbo Tax profile and that did it.  You need to click Intuit Account in the lower left of the Turbo Tax page and enter a phone number and then your password and save it.  I don't even think it needs to be a valid phone number because when you go to file the return, it gives you an option to get email updates and/or text messages.  Just make up a US number if needed and don't check the box saying you want text messages and you should be able to get the taxes filed.  Hopefully Turbo Tax will get the issue resolved but at least there is a work around.  GLTA;-)

cmjone10

I can not thank you enough for this! I am in the UK trying to file and was sat here like a dummy for 30 minutes changing stuff thinking it was the problem. 

Thank you so much this solved the problem!! 

Ribbetjie

Good day to all.

It almost took me 3 hours to try and sort out the error message.
As the previous post mentioned, you have to change your phone number in your Intuit account in the bottom left corner of the program to a legit US number that can be verified by SMS.
Once I've struggled to get hold of an aunt of mine in the US to use her number for the sms, and it was verified with a code, only then was my submission successful.
I have tried to delete the number on the Intuit account and leave it blank, or to say use any number without verification, but that option didn't work for me.
The only option that worked was to use a verified US number.

Stay strong and avoid Covid 19

lau1

If you still get the error message after changing your phone number to a US-based number on your intuit account, try logging out, clearing your cookies, and then logging back in to file. This worked for me.

Thanks for the help everyone!

ebajaj28v
Returning Member

Did you solve the issue? I am have the same issue

I had the same issue, and was able to fix it by changing to a U.S. phone number, but it only worked after I was able to verify the SMS.

The best part was that after ~3 hours of struggling with this issue,  and only getting help from other people suffering the same Sisyphian fate and not from TurboTax, the next page that pops up casually asks "How likely are you to recommend Turbo-Tax to a friend"? The scale is only 1-10, but they do provide a comment section...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies