Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bbsirius

Employer Stock Worksheet: Line 25. Column (b) should be entered

I have the exact same problem. I have no issue with other RSUs, which I got more than 1 shares vested. The only problem I have was vested 1 RSU and sell this right away for covering tax. The tax calculated seems right, as i am not double paying the tax here as far as I can see. but this error keeps bugging me... And as mentioned by other people, you can ignore this and e-file, and this is what I choose..
P.S., I have manually correct the cost basis as mentioned by other folks below. Still having issues with this exact 1 RSU vested/sell. There is definitely something wrong with Turbo tax here. 

I fixed this by:

-going to "FORMS"

-then selecting "Emp Stock Wks"

-scroll down to LINE 27

-column (b)

-right-click to manually override. Then enter the number of shares sold. (For me it was 1. I believe it's the 1 qty that was causing issue.)

If you run into errors:
-check LINE 25
-column (e) should be blank

-column (f) should be blank

your override fix worked great. clearly a bug in ttax when the released and held shares both equal 1.0000

thanks for figuring it out!!

josco79

"Since this was an RSU, and the value was reported on your W-2, I recommend you report it without going through the Employer Stock Worksheet questions.  You may want to delete your current entry and reenter."

The above advise is INCORRECT. If you do NOT go thru the Stock Worksheet Questions you WILL be audited. It took the IRS 2 years to find my return where I did not know to got through the worksheet and I was audited both years leading up to the return where I did know to go through the worksheet. 

fareyes

Thank you genchau! This also worked for me, following both pieces of advice to override the value on line 27 and clear out the 2 columns on line 25.

dipsbabla

Hello,

I am trying to bypass the Employer Stock Worksheet questions on the RSUs because I am getting an error on the line 25b. I deleted all my current entries and starting to reenter. On the page with the Description, Date Acquired, Date of Sale, Sales Price, and Adjusted Cost or Other Basis, I don't see the "I'll enter additional info on my own". Is this information still valid for 2022 taxes? I am using desktop Home & Business version.

dipsbabla

Hi genchau. This fix worked. Thank you!!

I've finally figured out when and how this happens, even for situations when you have more than 1 share sold.

This happened to me because I sold a percentage of my original lot. When I selected that I received the shares from one grant lot, I entered the total shares vested/released and shares withheld, as a percentage of the original lot, as mentioned by the example.

Apparently, I didn't round to enough decimal places, and turbotax felt the math didn't add up. The easiest way to 'fix this is to go back to the 'how were you awarded the units you sold' screen, and temporarily select 'from different lots.

If your issue is the same as mine, the screen will say something like 'You must enter at least 0.2000 more shares to cover the ZZZ shares you sold'.

When I recalculated my shares with more precision, I realized that turbotax was correct. If you have the split screen open with the form at the bottom, as soon as you go back and correct the total shares vested/released, the red box goes away.

My issue was what @hbtan called out in their message here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-bug-in-turbotax-2021-premier-regarding-rsu/01/...

Once I fixed it, the errors went away and I was able to e-file! Thank you @hbtan!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies