turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fonsecaalexander1
Returning Member

employee stock purchase plan

I worked for a company 15+ yrs ago and I participated in Employee stock purchase plan . I am currently no longer in this company and I finally sold some stock. Taxes on this stock were not withheld.  

Not sure which one below should pick. Is it "none of these apply to this sale since I'm not longer an employee at this company?

I have sales from an ESPP, including ESPP, NQSO, ISO, RS and RSU

My sales involve these uncommon situations 

None of these apply to this sale.

Thanks,

Alex

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Generally I don't advise using the "guided" interviews for reporting the sale of stock acquired via some sort of employee stock incentive program, with the exception of stock acquired via an ESPP.  There's nothing straight forward about entering the sale of stock acquired in this fashion because any sale of this stock can create compensation income, that needs to be reported, and this compensation income is added to your original purchase price in determining gain or loss, and this guided interview handles all this correctly.

So, use the "ESPP" guided interview.  However, you may (probably will) find that you don't have all the information required to report these sales absolutely correctly.  In that case you might have to resort to "best guess" estimates.

fonsecaalexander1
Returning Member

If I no longer work there is it still called an ESPP?  My understanding is it called a common stock. It is non-covered, basis not reported.

Stock acquired via an ESPP always carries the "ESPP" attribute, whether you work there now or haven't worked there for 20 years.  Any sale of this stock has the potential of creating compensation, compensation that adds to your out of pocket cost.

Congress - 50 years ago(?) - imposed an incredible heavy reporting burden on working stiffs when they established the ESPP incentive. 

Manage cookies