turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Electronic filing 2020 federal form pin and signature for deceased family member

I'm filing 2020 tax forms on behalf of my deceased adult child. Right before I file, a page comes up with my child's electronic pin and his date of birth. Should I change this information since I'm the one filing on his behalf or should I leave the form as it shows on TurboTax with his pin and his DOB? There are no clear directions on TurboTax. I've gone through all of the questions stating I'm filing on his behalf and entered my ssn, my direct deposit information, and filled out form 1310 to get his refund. But I'm stumped on this last step regarding whose info to put for the electronic pin and DOB. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Electronic filing 2020 federal form pin and signature for deceased family member

I'm sorry for your loss.

Leave it exactly as it is. If you change anything here, then you will flat out not be able to e-file the tax return.

Depending on when he passed, you may not be able to e-file it anyway. So you can expect the return to be rejected with something like an "SSN LOCKED" rejection message/code. This is common when e-filing a tax return on behalf of a deceased person. It indicates that those handling the final arrangements have done their job and notified the social security administration of their passing. Typically, the funeral home makes the necessary notifications.

If this turns out to be your case, then you have absolutely no choice but to print, sign and mail the return to the IRS. If a refund is due, then the IRS Form 1310 may (or may not) be needed. Get it at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1310.pdf if it turns out you need it.

Thank you for the information. I thought I might have to mail it in which I will also have to do for the state return. After I print the form, do I sign my name or write my son’s name with “deceased” after his name or do I just leave that part blank? 

@ maruck wrote:

I thought I might have to mail it in which I will also have to do for the state return. After I print the form, do I sign my name or write my son’s name with “deceased” after his name or do I just leave that part blank? 

I'm a fellow user--not a tax person-- but I have filed for deceased relatives myself in the past.

I would try to efile the returns.  You have nothing to lose by trying, and a lot to gain.   In many cases you should be able to efile a deceased person's returns (some states may not allow).   But if you haven't already done so, notify the Social Security administration first as instructed in the first FAQ below:

FAQ:  Can I efile a tax return for someone who is deceased?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-a-tax-return-for-someone-who-is-deceased/...

FAQ:  Can I file Form 1310 in TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/can-i-file-form-1310-in-turbotax/00/25660

If you print out a copy of your return for some reason (such as for your records, or if you end up having to mail it), TurboTax should automatically print the following at the top of the Form 1040 page, with the name and date of death displayed (assuming you provided the death info in the Personal Info section) :

"DECEASED (decedent's name) (date of death)"

You also asked how to sign if you end up printing out a paper copy to mail.  The following is pasted from IRS Pub. 559 (see link below). 

"Signature.

If a personal representative has been appointed, that person must sign the return. If it is a joint return, the surviving spouse must also sign it. If no personal representative has been appointed, the surviving spouse (on a joint return) signs the return and writes in the signature area "Filing as surviving spouse."  If no personal representative has been appointed and if there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as "personal representative."

That publication may have additional info you find useful.

IRS Pub. 559:  Survivors, Executors, and Administrators

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559

NOTE:    The above info is for the Federal return.   While many do, some states do not allow a decedent's state return to be efiled.   TurboTax should let you know if your state does allow efiling when you try to efile. 

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I appreciate your time and help. 

@maruck wrote:

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I appreciate your time and help. 

You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies