Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efiling more than 5 tax returns

Can i purchase tt cd, efile 5 tax returns, delete the program, buy a new tt cd and efile 5 more tax returns? If i had to, would i be able to set up a new acct with the same email address, without deleting my original acct? Can i have 2 accts on the same computer even if 1 program has been deleted? I'm reading that there are problems efiling 5 more tax returns with the new cd, that when efiling, message is already efiled 5 tax returns,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, the restriction is an IRS restriction, not a TurboTax restriction.

In order to e-file more than five returns, you need a PTIN.

See https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/ptin-requirements-for-tax-return-preparers

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No, the restriction is an IRS restriction, not a TurboTax restriction.

In order to e-file more than five returns, you need a PTIN.

See https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/ptin-requirements-for-tax-return-preparers

I don't receive any compensation, I'm not a paid professional tax preparer, I only do returns for family.  

If any of them are very simple returns maybe they could use the online Free Edition version?  But right now it doesn't matter since Efiling is closed and you have to print and mail returns now.  

I'm planning ahead for 2022; need to efile 10 for family. I realize it's an IRS restriction, not TT, and I realize I can print and paper-file as many tax returns as I need, but since I'm not a professional tax preparer, and receive no compensation, by purchasing TT, efiling 5 returns, deleting that TT program, purchasing another TT program and efiling 5 additional tax returns, I'm not trying to get around any rules for paid professional tax payers. 

Then maybe you can use another computer like at someone else's house and use another email address.  I think the 5 limit is tied to the email address and IP address.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies