Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Efile rejected due to /Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - Data in the return is missing or invalid.

I have never had very much success with calling Intuit for support. In the past I have spent ages waiting to speak with someone and never gotten a resolution. This is very frustrating to begin with, but please also remember that if you live abroad like I do you have to pay international long distance charges. While I realise your customer base overseas is probably a small one it would be nice if you had another option instead of calling if you experience a major problem (like this one!).

TJ_DYI

Efile rejected due to /Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - Data in the return is missing or invalid.

I was assisted by a Live TurboTax professional and we ended up deleting the form.

We:

• switch from Step-by-Step to Forms
  • Click on "Errors". 
  • It put me at the top of the 1116 form 
  • I clicked on Delete 
  • Then switched back to Step-by-Step
  • Ran Smartcheck and it was resolved

I didn't have any Foreign anything so doesn't make sense 

Hope this helps!

Thanks, but I had tried this and it didn't work. I do have foreign income, so probably a different issue.

Final Update

I have been able to eFile my Federal return, 🎉 , i.e., no IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - data error. Note in retrospect I don't believe the error message identifies the actual processing problem.
I was able to work around what I believe are either deficiencies in the TTD eFile package or the IRS Form 1116 validation/processing.

Accepted return
  • Single Form 1116 (Copy 1) marked for "passive income” - note new and old totals varied by $3
    • Column A - RIC 
    • Column B - Various - All other country foreign tax info aggregated in the column.
  • Multiple 1099-DIV forms, either RIC or country summation linked to appropriate Form 1116 Copy 1, Columns A or B respectively
  • One Schedule B Form 1116 marked for "passive income” properly populated by TT.

Prior rejected return
  • multiple Form 1116 (Copies 1 through 7), all marked for "passive income” 
  • many 1099-DIV forms each restricted to foreign tax payments to a single country or RIC correctly linked to appropriate Form 1116 Copy and Column
  • one Schedule B Form 1116 marked for "passive income” properly populated by TT.
Comment:
  • IRS Form 1116 instructions direct linking RIC foreign taxes to Copy 1 Column A and using other individual columns to sum country-specific foreign tax payments, as was done on the rejected return. 
  • I will retain for audit an electronic and PDF version of the rejected return. It documents completing the Form 1116 IAW the IRS instructions. 
  • Similarly, I will retain the associated rejection emails to document the need for the work around.
  • Hopefully this information will aid TT technical support and developer teams improving the product.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies