turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

There are e-file issues with the Form 1116 in general.  Please sign up for notification here: Form 1116 reject error

Please see my post from above. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, I had my e-file return also immediately rejected for a Form 1116 error.  It was pretty cryptic message from TT and I had no real clue how to fix it because TT couldn't find anything to change or anything that was wrong.  I did change the Part II Date Paid from Various (which is correct and successfully done in prior years) to 12/31/2020.   As I found this as one of the work-arounds in this chain.  

So far my e-file return has not been rejected so it looks (potentially) good as my prior attempt was rejected immediately.

leeseng22
Returning Member

Yes, I am have the same issue. I am not sure how to correct it? My foreign tax only $160. Every year I take the credit without file Form 1116. This year somehow I do not see the option. Plus the Turbo Tax emailed me it will walk me through to correct it. I did not see where the instruction? 

I called Turbo Tax help center, I cannot get through the machine to talk to real person.

gkalmond

Changing from "various" to "12/31/2020" worked for me - thanks!

Thanks for the great explanations.  I have the same problem

After passing TT final review, my return was immediately rejected 3 times.  Then I found his thread.  Changed "various" to "RIC" and changed date paid from "various" to 12/31/2020...so far it's been about 10 minutes and it hasn't yet been rejected.  I wish there was a way to put the solution at the very front of the thread.  I went to page 20 and worked backwards for a page or two and found the work around.

Thanks to all who contributed to the solution.  To Turbo Tax:  I'll hold my tongue.

To get an answer moved up to the top page requires people to give an answer a "thumbs up".  Currently the top answer (which does identify the problem but seeks a solution) has four thumbs up and the Foxbat (that would be me) answer is on page 18 with one thumbs up.  Yes, I am pleased that people have found my answers helpful but with only one thumbs up it will remain buried. 

If you found the answer helpful give it a thumbs up so others can find it. 

It seems TT has now set it so that you cannot eFile if you have Form 1116. I'd be glad to change the dates, etc. in order to avoid paper filing, but they've taken away the option. Is there any way to find out if they are working on this?

I need to mail my quarterly payment in the next 2 days, but I can wait to file in a few weeks if this will be resolved. If not, I might as well mail it all at once.

Also concerned as New York state requires me to eFile but TT won't allow me to efile state after paper filing federal.

I don't know if this will work for you.  I think your 1116 is causing a problem because the Date Paid is set (correctly) to Various.  TT seems to be having lots of problems with Various.

I think you can change the date by switching to Go to Forms on the View Menu.  Click on Open Form and type 1116 in the search box.  This will open form 1116 scroll down until you see Part II.  Change Various in the Date Paid column to 12/31/2020. Close the form and I think you should be able to e-file.  EasyStep is unlikely to let you change the date.  

Hope that helps.  

I posted the solution for most of the problems about two weeks ago, but it is now buried with other comments starting about page 18.  What I posted that has worked for all responding is below.  It is important, and yes annoying, that you follow it in detail for each of your 1099's with foreign income and each 1116 if more than one.  If it works for you, help others by giving the original post a "thumbs up" so it gets moved up to the front of the responses.

Foxbat

Level 2

Wednesday

I too had difficulties getting e-filed due to rejection related to foreign tax credit.  On the 8th attempt to file in went through.  I have been filing with TT for about two decades and always with a FTC.  To fix the issue, whatever it was, I did the following (I only have passive category income):

Part I:  Foreign Country:  RIC.  Do not use "Various" and change it both at all 1099's with FT and on the Form 1116 and 116 Worksheet.  In the 1099's that feed to Form 1116, change Form 1099 Box 8 so that both the imported and input are RIC.  If one was left as "various", I got a reject. 

Part II.  (l) Date paid or accrued.  Again, do not use "Various".  Use an actual date (I used 12/31/2020)

I also checked my prior year Form 1116 against this year to assure the non-numeric items were consistent between the two.  Hope this helps!

I found that until I had all of the above lined up the return would reject.  It took seven errors, but finally figured out when all the various had been eliminated completely that is when the filing was accepted.

Thanks so much for this, but it seems that TT has now blocked the ability for anyone with a 1116 to eFile at all. It gets me all the way up to the point to submit and then says I cannot eFile. Pretty lazy workaround to the issue!

Thanks so much for this, but it seems that TT has now blocked the ability for anyone with a 1116 to eFile at all. It gets me all the way up to the point to submit and then says I cannot eFile. Pretty lazy workaround to the issue!

Elissameck,

It is very discouraging that TT is not permitting you to use eFile.  Could you respond and paste whatever the reject notice is saying?

Have you gone through the "Check For Errors" part in Step-by-Step and also looked at the "Forms" list to see if there are any errors noted against any of the Forms?  If errors shown then see my earlier text on how to get the errors cleared by making the changes in your 1099's and then 1116's.

If nothing there then I would call TT tech support.

I have heard other people report issues caused by changing the foreign tax AMT election from last year.  Most of us use Simplified and stay with that over the years, but if you used the manual version last year or inadvertently changed to manual this year, then in theory at least, your need IRS consent to make the change in accounting practice.  That, I have heard, can be a show stopper for efiling.   If this is happening then you really want to call TT tech support.

I didn't change my election -- simplified, as I've been doing for the 10 years I've been living overseas.

I get through to the end, run the error check and I get one error:

------

We Won't Be Able to E-file Your Return

It looks like you have a form or tax situation in your federal return that TurboTax doesn't support for e-filing. We do support it for filing by mail.

Here are the details:

You elected the simplified AMT Foreign Tax Credit limitation. Print the return and file by mail.

Don't worry, even though you are unable to e-file your return, we'll still help you file your return by mail.

-----

When I continue on, it looks like I have an e-file option. But when I go through and tell it to submit, it kicks me back to the same message as above and I can go back through the process but can only complete if I select to file by mail. So frustrating. I called for support and the person I spoke to was unsure whether this problem will be fixed or not. It appears that TT may just not be bothering to update those fields to allow for e-file and rather is just blocking e-file to avoid the rejection issue.

Wondering if anyone has contacts or info on whether TT will change that before mid-May?

Change the date in the 1116 worksheet from various to 12/31/2020. It will then field the 1116 from various to the 12/31/2020 date and send it again. I did and it was just accepted by the IRS.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies