turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

Elissameck,

I got that message on at least one of my seven rejection notices.  Solution for me was using the Forms option (as opposed to Step-by-Step) and going into each source 1099 and in Box 8 changing any blank or various dates to 12/31/2020 and any various countries to RIC.  Note there are two places for country names in Box 8, both need to be RIC.   There is a box to check if from a mutual fund, mine were so I checked the box.  Then review your Form 1116 itself to make sure you are using box (c)  Passive category income (most of us only have dividends), Part I line i (it's before line 1) is RIC, Part II (j) is checked Paid, line (l) had a date in the format of mm/dd/yyyy.  I have only tried this with passive category income from mutual funds, if you have more exotic income (some of the other boxes) then this may not help.  Hopefully the steps above will work for you too.   

Thank you so much, Foxbat. 

I got my first rejection 2 days ago with the original error message "E-File rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116".    I found this thread and read through everyone's comments.   I have passive income from dividends and one K-1.  I did not know about RIC so I changed both dividends and K-1 from "various" to RIC.  I also went into forms view and added RIC to the imported name on the DIV worksheets (I could not find where else to do this?)  I got rejected again.  I took one other person's advice (sorry I forget who!), and went into step-by-step, deductions and credits, foreign taxes, and changed the selection to itemize rather than credit.  I then went through and selected credit again and selected simplified method.  I then got accepted!  I think selecting itemized then credit again reset the Form 1116 and started all over with my corrected data.  I hope this idea, which I got from someone above, might be helpful to someone else.

I gave you a thumbs up by the way.  One more and your suggestions will be at the top where they should be. 

Thank you, glad it worked for you!  Nice thought about using changing itemized to credit and back to force a reset.  Would be interesting if TT responds and tells us if that indeed does force a reset and clearing out whatever might have clogged up the works.

I checked my three 1099s, all have RIC in both spots. My paid dates are 12/31/2020. No "various" anywhere.  I tried changing to the itemized method and then back to the credit method and I still can't e-file my return.

Hmm.   Tough one.  Most likely there is something amiss in checking a box or completing the dates, but you have done that.  Try reviewing again, if you are like me I sometimes find these things stare me in the face and I don't see them at first until I do a point by point (painful) review.

You have 1099 Box 8 "various" for both dates and RIC, the mutual fund box checked.  In Box 7, line b is set to Copy 1 and line C box "A" is checked?   

Review your Form 1116 again to make sure Box C (before Part I) is checked, Part 1 line (i) is showing "RIC" and all income is in Column A.  To get everything into Column A, you do that back at the 1099.  In Form 1116 Part II of box (j) is "Paid".

Another way of tackling this is to compare your 2019 1099's and Form 1116 to the 2020 versions to see what, other than amounts, is different.  That might turn up whatever it is that is blocking you.  I took me seven failed attempts to find the culprit until #8 went through.   If all else fails, calling TT support might help.  

Amazing.  Me too.  I followed Foxbat's recipe and managed to get my Federal returned accepted on the 4th try.

Thanks!!!

We actually live overseas and have W-2 and 1099-NEC foreign earned income and foreign taxes paid. I've just gone through these many suggestions but it appears none apply to my forms. I went ahead and mailed my Q1 estimated payment today. Now I have a month to see if I can get this figured out before I have to print my 40+ pages of tax forms and mail them to the US.

hrlmgyrl
Returning Member

I just discovered the same issue...after 20 years of using Turbo Tax...this is the first time I ever had a problem with TT.  I'm going to try changing whatever dates in that 1116 form to 12/31/2020 and see what happens.  Since folks are reporting no help or update from TT, I'm not using them anymore.  This is frustrating as hell.  Mailing forms in, who knows WHEN you'll get your money...

Thanks for posting a solution when TT hasn't...

Elissameck,

I did not have 1099-NEC and foreign based W-2 so have no special insight. 

From a general perspective, my first thought is, which you may have already done, is to go into the Forms section and review yet again each of the 1099's and W-2's with foreign income to look for those "various" selections and missing dates.  TT will NOT identify "various" or missing dates as being errors. 

Second would to try different of the source options other than "various" since RIC does not seem to apply.    Third is to compare this year's 1099's and Forms 1116 (if you have two types of income, looks like you have at least general category) to see what is different on a line by line box by box audit.  

Make sure you use a separate 1116 form for each type of income, i.e. passive, active, w-2, etc

I have previously replied and explained that after I followed Foxbat's workaround, I finally got my father's federal return accepted by the IRS.  This was around 4/10/2021.

I don't know if TT has fixed anything, but last night (4/14/21), I filed my personal return.  After getting no errors (like happened to my Dad's, yet it had still been rejected three times), I checked my Form 1116 and, despite having a "Canada" in Column A and a "RIC" in Column B, the dates for each were already filled in as 12/31/2020.  I had not inserted those dates when completing the Step by Step; I don't know how those dates were used.

In any event, my return was accepted the first time.  I am clueless; I have no rational explanation for how the dates got there.  But taxes are filed.  Don't know if this will help anyone else.  Maybe it will help the Community detectives figure out how the screw up happened in the first place.  Good luck to all.

There's an easy fix to this and Turbo Tax is apparently not doing it.  Others have posted on it.  I went to Form 1116 and changed "RIC" on line A of Part II to be a date (12/31/20).  The form asks for a date but somehow "RIC" got in mine.

I couldn't find "various" anywhere either, but I did find Form 1116, Part II first column asked for a date and had "RIC" there instead.  I had to go to the worksheet to fix it.

SSFam

Did you label both A and B as RIC? Thanks.

Since they were both RIC I combined the multiple 1099’s into one column.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies