Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I posted the solution for most of the problems about two weeks ago, but it is now buried with other comments starting about page 18.  What I posted that has worked for all responding is below.  It is important, and yes annoying, that you follow it in detail for each of your 1099's with foreign income and each 1116 if more than one.  If it works for you, help others by giving the original post a "thumbs up" so it gets moved up to the front of the responses.

Foxbat

Level 2

Wednesday

I too had difficulties getting e-filed due to rejection related to foreign tax credit.  On the 8th attempt to file in went through.  I have been filing with TT for about two decades and always with a FTC.  To fix the issue, whatever it was, I did the following (I only have passive category income):

Part I:  Foreign Country:  RIC.  Do not use "Various" and change it both at all 1099's with FT and on the Form 1116 and 116 Worksheet.  In the 1099's that feed to Form 1116, change Form 1099 Box 8 so that both the imported and input are RIC.  If one was left as "various", I got a reject. 

Part II.  (l) Date paid or accrued.  Again, do not use "Various".  Use an actual date (I used 12/31/2020)

I also checked my prior year Form 1116 against this year to assure the non-numeric items were consistent between the two.  Hope this helps!

I found that until I had all of the above lined up the return would reject.  It took seven errors, but finally figured out when all the various had been eliminated completely that is when the filing was accepted.