Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File is Closed for the Season? What? Deadline is tomorrow for those who extended!

I've been trying to efile (10/16/2022) for hours in NJ without success.  I have checked for updates repeatedly and am up-to-date.  My state return efile charge was paid.  When will I get my refund.  I really would like to avoid the trip to the post office tomorrow.  I will keep trying.  smh

E-File is Closed for the Season? What? Deadline is tomorrow for those who extended!

I am still working on y taxes. I hope to efile tonight but am concerned about this. 

Are you saying that you are in NJ and are trying to efile both federal and NJ state and neither are working? 

I need to efile and might not get to it until tomorrow - do you know how long after you efile do you get message of acceptance? 

And you say that you already paid for the state efile amiutn - so didnt you efile then? 

So although I was ready to file on Saturday, when I originally posted this first message, I waited to file until this morning (10/17 at 10:30am PST), to ensure any updates were properly reflected in the software. I checked for updates before filing (it did have an update which I assume fixed the e-file problem, since I know longer received the message about e-filing being closed). So I went ahead and submitted my return electronically using TurboTax desktop and all looked good.

What has me very nervous however, is I typically receive a confirmation email from TurboTax titled "In Progress: Your TurboTax Return Status" saying that my returns were submitted and to keep an eye on my inbox to receive confirmation in the next 24-48 hours that my state and federal returns were accepted or rejected. I have no such email this year, despite getting one in each of the last 2 tax years. So now I'm left wondering if my e-files actually got sent or just went into the ether. Will be looking for new tax software next year, given how much TurboTax has botched this year's extension deadline. 

Problem solved.  Federal and state returns efiled today.  "In Progress" and "Federal Return Accepted" by IRS received.  Had to do online updates and called.

@ssmith316  - Similarly when I attempted to e-file my forms I received the same automated response (at 4 minutes past midnight EST) indicating I could not e-file and would have to print a copy to mail in.  Following your thread I decided as well to wait until today to determine if the software restriction had been corrected (and hopefully tested), allowing my submission using the 2021 Premier CD product.  I was happy to see an update was downloaded so I could continue to e-file.  Once completed I too expected to receive a confirmation email from TurboTax titled "In Progress: Your TurboTax Return Status" saying that my returns were submitted, but no such email was received...  at least initially.

Lo and behold, notification HAS NOW ARRIVED! ... "TurboTax Update: Federal Return Accepted"

Thank you for starting this conversation and all those who contributed!!! 

I submitted after midnight l - so baically on the 17th. My dederal and Colroado were accepted but no the NJ. My son worked summer in colorado so had to file and that was accepted but not ourhome state of NJ. 

What happens if it doesnt get accepted but was received...will i have to print if off and mail it in even though it was electronically efited but not accepted. Efile endsmidnight tonight. I really think turbotax shold keep efile open a few days later in case of issues and rejections

@lcolantuoni14 

E-files are recorded with their date and time...much like a paper mailed one gets a postmark by the Post office, but might get there a week or so later..

So it's the submission time and date that is critical for being before the deadline.

Actual file Acceptances by the Feds and States are completely at the mercy of the receiving computers, and how overloaded they may be...not by TTX once e-filed.

TTX does keep e-filing open for ~5 days or so after the deadline, so that rejected e-files can be re-submitted.....but I have no idea if NJ allows those re-submits as being considered to have been filed on-time  (but the IRS does).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
mc1
Level 2

I efiled Turbotax Home and Business FED + Arizona at 10/17/2022 330pm Arizona time.  Had paid Fed fully 4/15.  Had filed and an Arizona ext 4/15 on their AZTAX website.  Received an email that my Fed filing had been accepted about 15 - 20 later.

@ mc1 wrote:

I efiled Turbotax Home and Business FED + Arizona at 10/17/2022 330pm Arizona time.  Had paid Fed fully 4/15.  Had filed and an Arizona ext 4/15 on their AZTAX website.  Received an email that my Fed filing had been accepted about 15 - 20 later.

Congrats!   As for the AZ efile, a state efile decision waits to find out if the Federal return has been accepted first, then the state efile is weighed for acceptance/rejection.   Now that your Federal return has been accepted, AZ will hopefully make its decision for you soon, but it might take longer.

If you check the efile status of the state return from inside your software, it should show as "pending", until it is either accepted/rejected.

I had read that no efile submissions after midnight tongiht

Aer you saying its open for those that had rejections?

Can I efile if m just late getting my taxes done after midnight?

wow thanks just 20 minutes later both went rhough and accepted? I jsut got state nj accepted and filed it yesterday fro my son - now i have to do mine!

mc1
Level 2

Usually just wait for email Arizona acceptance.  2 -4 hrs later than FED acceptance historically.  Good info to check inside desktop TT software.

mc1
Level 2

Arizona personal just accepted at 10/17/2022 510pm Arizona time. FED 2 sched-C sole prop and personal had been accepted 10/17/2022 351pm Arizona time.  Arizona computers are getting faster.

im in nj and my son has to also do colrado - not arizona - all got accepted - now owrking on mine

chanpal

Thank you!

This TurboTax guys are crazy... we do things at the last minute and they gave such a shock that I cannot do it... especially it is 10/17 (last day) and 7:30pm ... no options left..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies