turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

causey9

Does Turbo Tax not allow a Texas resident to file an extension electronically? Texas deadline is tomorrow and I am not able to file extension electronically.

Turbo Tax is assuming I have the general extended deadline for COVID and is not intelligent enough to understand I am Texas resident so it says I am too late to file an extension. This is not accurate.  Am I doing something wrong?  Should I just mail the extension as if I live in the 80s again?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Does Turbo Tax not allow a Texas resident to file an extension electronically? Texas deadline is tomorrow and I am not able to file extension electronically.

Yes you have to print and mail the extension for Texas now.  Get a tracking number from the post office.

Not TurboTax, the IRS discontinued e-fileing of extensions on May 17.

You can only paper file now.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
MikeInPlano
Returning Member

It will work even though Turbo Tax says May 17.  I'm in Texas, too, and I e-filed today, a few minutes ago (Monday, June 14).  The IRS will know you're from Texas and recognize the June 15th extension.

The only catch is you cannot specify a later date for your payment if you owe taxes.  In that respect, Turbo Tax doesn't acknowledge the Texas extension, and thinks you're filing late.  Because of that, TT does not allow you to specify a debit date later than the day you file.

MikeInPlano
Returning Member

Not correct.  I just efiled from Texas, on June 14th.  The only catch is TT will require you to specify your filing date as the debit date for your payment if you owe taxes.

it is not Turbotax that is blocking e-filing of your extension. the IRS closed e-filing of extensions on 5/17/2021. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies