Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does 2020 TurboTax support e-filing of QBI rental real estate enterprise statement

Last year, we had to print out and mail in our return as the IRS required an original, signed statement for those claiming QBI under safe harbor for rental real estate.

I'm wondering if the 2020 TurboTax version supports electronic signatures and e-filing of returns that include this enterprise statement.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Does 2020 TurboTax support e-filing of QBI rental real estate enterprise statement

The IRS requires a "manually signed and dated" safe harbor election statement for rental activities.   That Rental Real Estate Enterprise Statement is the "safe harbor" statement for your combined (aggregated) rental properties.  Unfortunately, TurboTax does not support a PDF attachment of a signed safe harbor election.  As a result, you are required to print and mail your tax return in order to submit the signed and dated "safe harbor" statement required by the IRS.

There is a product called Tax Slayer that allows you to print, sign, and upload a pdf to attach to the e-filed tax return. Why can't TurboTax do this? So disappointed.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Every product is different. Since it is currently not supported, you can print and mail it in. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the print and mail option. Defeats the purpose of buying an e-program, lots of ink, lots of paper, and heading off to the post office in these times of Covid. I'd even be willing to upgrade to a higher level TT program to get this option.

Why won't TT fix this problem with IRS to allow e-filing? Is TT working on it?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to @MaryM428's statement above, because unfortunately, the form is not currently available for e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IS TT currently work with IRS t fix this problem to allow efiling?  Or TT has no intention of doing so?

TT in the past have worked with IRS to fix problems pertaining to Aggregated Business statements to allow efiling. 

Yeah, I'm with everybody else. For what we pay for this software for efile (not print) $200 for the disk, to then have to print and go to the post office (during a pandemic) to make sure it gets there safely? At the very least, Turbotax should be shipping free secure fedex/ups box envelopes with prepaid postage and tracking as people need it, or have a deal for the same with fedex/ups. Even then, I buy this software in part to not put a hard copy of something with my social and every other piece of sensitive information possible in print and mail. I suppose at least it doesn't have something obvious on the envelope like IRS a.k.a "steal me first" on the front... oh, wait. To your own response, this is not impossible for TT and the IRS does not disallow efiling, they merely require you to be in the 21st century and be able to e-sign. PDF? Docusign? It'd be one thing if this were the first year, but year 2? no excuses, this is a big fail TT. 

Completely agree that this is complete nonsense. TurboTax, your silence is deafening! After nearly 20 years of using your products, this will be my last. Never willing to provide an answer as to why basic functionality is missing. Saying print and mail your forms is pathetic. There is no reason to have to do this.

Get your act together TurboTax!

Also, nowhere in the irs reg. does it say anything about manually signing the statement.

Section 3.03(D) on page 6 outlines the requirements for the statement.

No manually signed statement required!

Fix this!!

This answer is ridiculous.  I would have assumed by this time, this year, this problem would have been solved.  IS TT GOING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?  It is ridiculous that I have to print and mail in my tax returns because you won't fix the problem and allow a pdf to be uploaded. . . such an easy fix!  And, obviously impacting lots of people.

I also have 2 state returns.  Am I assuming I have to print and mail those too, since generally, turbo tax doesn't let me efile the state without the federal?  That will absolutely drive me to taxslayer.iii

Or...help the IRS get it added to form 8453!

I could not efile due to a small safe harbor rental election  in march 2021.his year in march I mailed the return in a charleston sc post office to IRS in the midwest. It took 5 weeks to get there andanother 4 days for the receipt to get back to me.

Why donr they let you efile????????????????????????? - a small $ 6000 or so deduction of rental expenses.  which irs approvedwhats the second best software for a homeowner to use who has one small rental property?

JasperChang
Returning Member

My name and date is Jasper Chang 8/8/2021
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies