Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to upgrade to TurboxTax premier?

I only have 4 stock sales which are all related to RSUs sold to cover taxes on the day of their vesting throughout the year. I don't have any other stock transactions so only one 1099-B. I have a few 1099-INT and 1099-DIV. Can I use TurboxTax Deluxe to file these stock transactions or do I need to upgrade to TurboTax premier?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You need the Online Premier version to enter that.  But you can use any Desktop CD/Download program.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.  

You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.  If you already paid for the Online version you can ask them for the Desktop program. And you can buy a lower version Desktop program.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Download the .tax2022 file for free

How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

Do you mean the Desktop version is cheaper and still contains all the features and forms in the online Premier version including investments for stocks and crypto?

Would an older Desktop version like 2021 or 2020 offer the same capability or do I need to get the latest Desktop version?

Thanks for the help!

Yes.  And there are other advantages to the Desktop program.  But you have to buy the right year program.  Like 2022 to do a 2022 return.  So you need to buy a new program each year, just like the Online version.  Yes it is cheaper if you buy a lower version like Deluxe for everything.

The CD/Download Desktop you buy and install the program, which can do unlimited returns. The returns are only saved on your computer and can not be accessed from anywhere else. And not saved at Turbo Tax. So Be sure to save Frequently and make backups. You get 5 federal efile for free. In Deluxe and above you get 1 state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns (in that state). Each state return including the first one is $20 early or $25 to efile or you can print and mail the state for free. The Desktop programs do not have the expert help that is available to add to Online versions.

Desktop also has many other features and advantages over the Online version. You can do more than 1 return. You can see and enter into the actual forms. It has a What-If worksheet. And you can use a lower version because all the Desktop versions have ALL the same forms. You just get more help in the higher versions. In online you have to upgrade to enter certain kinds of income. Like Premier for investments.

And the Desktop program is always available even after the year ends. Which is good if you ever need to amend your return after online website is closed or get audited and need your tax records.

You can buy the Desktop CD/Download program here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies