Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhimar
Returning Member

Do I need to send a copy of my roommates CRP with my Form M1PR?

I prepped my form M1PR through Turbo Tax when filing my 2021 State Taxes, but I still have to mail it in. I moved to Minnesota in 2021 from a state with no renter rebate, so this is new to me. When I applied for my apartment I came in just under the income requirement, as I was initially here on an internship, so my mom co-applied, so she's on my lease techinically. This means I got two CRP's this year, one in my name and one in hers with rent paid split 50/50 between us, even though I paid 100% of the rent. My mom doesn't actually live or work in MN and therefore isn't filing on her own since she paid no state taxes here. I understand why it was split 50/50. I guess technically we are 'roommates' since  my parents did not, and could not, claim me as a dependent in their federal taxes. I know I have to attach my CRP to my form M1PR, but do I need to include a copy of the one in her name? Are roommates expected to include each others, even if they're only filing for half the rent? The CRP itself says "you must attach all CRP's used to determine your refund" but is that more for people who moved and therefore would have multple CRP's for one year? I'm fairly sure I'll only get the rebate for the half I technically paid and that's fine, I didn't realize MN had renters rebate when we signed the lease so that's on me for doing it this way. I just want to make sure I'm sending in the correct documents.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Perhaps @AmeliesUncle  can help since he is familiar with Minnesota (not sure who else is off the top of my head).

If you are only claiming your portion, only include yours.

However, in my opinion, if your mom never lived there, I would claim the entire portion of rent (both halves).  If the state questions it, you can just explain that you were the ONLY one that lived there, despite somebody else being listed on the lease.   You could point out that the instructions show that a roommate who is NOT on the lease should be separate out on a separate CRP - meaning that the CRP and the credit is based on the actual number of people living there, NOT on who is listed on the lease.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies