Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i mail the state tax return along with the federal tax return?

when i mail my federal tax return, do i mail the state tax return in the same envelope?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

NO!!!

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thankgod4taxes  You mail federal to IRS  address valid for your region ( ONLY  federal return )

For State you have to mail the State return ( and often a copy of the federal ) to the State  DOR --- see the State website  for the address.

Thank you. i already mailed them together. i did pay extra for someone to sign for it. Can i change my state taxes from mailing to e-file today?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thankgod4taxes , you should be --- go back to filing portion of  TurboTax and  select e-file ONLY for the state and that proceed -- that should work.

ok thank you so much!!!

@thankgod4taxes No.    You cannot e-file a state return unless the federal return has been e-filed and accepted.   The IRS will not do anything with your state return except maybe shred it or toss it in the trash.  So you need to print, sign and mail another copy of your state return and mail it to the right address for the state this time.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Where did you mail them to?  The IRS or to the state?  No you can't change State to efile.  You can only efile state if Federal was also efiled and accepted.  You need to print and mail state to the state.

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  It should say how and where to mail it.

I mailed both of them to the IRS, i will reprint the state and mail it to them

thanks again!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thankgod4taxes  note that  many states  will need your federal return copy  for processing/ finalizing the state refund --- just  send a copy of the federal along to the state.  Good Luck

Stay safe 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies