Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmowl46-

Do I have to pay for putting in my 1099 misc.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@kmowl46- 

Yes, you would have to upgrade if it's for self-employment income/independent contractor or rental/royalty income, Alaska Permanent Fund dividend, etc.  Regular Free Edition cannot handle those types of income due to 1099-MISC.

But there is another free TurboTax product that can handle it, if you qualify.

The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program) is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules.  It is even more powerful than most paid products if you qualify.  For example, in addition to Schedules 1-3 it can prepare Schedule C, D, E, F, etc., and enter K-1. But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2019 household AGI is $36,000 or less; or
      • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
      • In 2019, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $69,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If you qualify for that program and want to use it, see these 2 FAQs:

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

and

FAQ:  How do I switch to the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

What does "Household AGI" imply if I'm claimed as a dependent on my parents taxes? Is this my income or my parent's income combined with mine?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Turbotax  Free Edition does not support Form 1099-MISC.

TurboTax Free  is available for simple tax returns. A simple tax return is Form 1040 only, without any additional schedules. Situations covered include: 

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits

Household AGI is for the entire household.  If you are a member of the household then your income would be part of the households AGI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So if my parents claim me as a dependent does this mean I use their AGI to calculate if I can use free file? 

No.  You only use your own income to see if you qualify for the Free File website.  It is your total income for 2019.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things

AGI $36,000 or less

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on the Orange button I Qualify, Let's get Started

https://freefile.intuit.com/

I don't know why TurboTax chose to make that FAQ confusing by including the word "household" in regards to the $36,000 requirement.   They could have worded that better and made it clear.

Neither the IRS website nor the TurboTax IRS Free File website refers to it as "household."   At both when it mentions qualifications, it just says "your 2019 AGI" and doesn't use the term "household."    However, a popup help link at the TurboTax IRS Free File website says that for Married Filing Joint returns,  the total of both spouses income added together is used for the income limit.    So that must be the situation referred to as "household"--MFJ returns.  AFAIK, for an individual filer it wouldn't even have a way to consider/know the "household" income.

Very helpful, appreciate it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies