turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PHZA
Returning Member

disabled adult not receiving disability benefit SSI Can be claime on my tax return?

Hi,

my sister is disabled she 44 she lives with me but she is not receiving disability benefit SSI can I claim her on my tax return.

Thanks for the help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

disabled adult not receiving disability benefit SSI Can be claime on my tax return?

Who can I claim as my dependent?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018 ($4,250 in 2019).
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Can I claim my parent as a dependent?

PHZA
Returning Member

Thanks and IRS will ask for proof of disability by documentation all I have her medical records.

The IRS is unlikely to ask for proof of her disability.  All you get for claiming an adult dependent is a $500 credit, and you will not have to enter anything about her disability on your tax return.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
PHZA
Returning Member

I pay all her expenses my income very limited I just want advice from someone who knows the IRS rules.

You do not get back anything for the living expenses you pay for her.   You get a $500 credit, as stated.  Unless you have been paying all of her medical expenses and have enough other itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction, and want to try itemizing medical expenses for her.  You can enter medical expenses for a dependent.  But the deduction is really hard to get.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

just to put some numbers to that... assuming you are filing HOH, the standard deduction is $18,350 and only the medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income are tax deductible.  

So if you think you have a lot of medical expenses and your income is low, it's worth a try to go itemized (which TT will figure out whether standard is still better once you input everything),  as noted above, it's a 'tall bar' to meet.   But the point is you'll need more than  $18350 in itemized deductions to make it worth your while. 

PHZA
Returning Member

yes, I will be filing as HOH my income $26,000 and she 100% disabled.

So if you paid any medical expenses for her, only the amount you actually PAID in 2019 over about $2000 "counts" toward itemizing--and you would still need enough other itemized deductions like mortgage interest and property tax to reach over $18,350.  So it is unlikely that entering any medical expenses will affect your tax due or tax refund.

If she is disabled has she applied for disability from Social Security or has she applied for SSI (not the same thing as Social Security)

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02274

PHZA
Returning Member

she applied for SSI over a year now and we still waiting for approval, I paid in medical expenses $4,000.

Manage cookies