turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fix an IND-516 error on my federal tax returns?

My federal tax return was rejected for this reason. I am claimed as a dependent on my parents' returns, which is what an IND-516 return is, apparently. The description of the error reads: This return was rejected by the IRS, because an exemption has been claimed for the taxpayer, but the taxpayer's SSN has already been entered as a dependent on another return. The taxpayer's SSN cannot be used to claim an exemption on two separate tax returns. Verify that the taxpayer's SSN has been entered correctly. If the Taxpayer's information is correct and you want to file electronically, the personal exemption cannot be claimed for the taxpayer on this return. I don't know what exemption this is referring to. Any and all help is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

Did you answer Yes to the question "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return?"

Here are the steps to get to that question and verify your answer:

Sign into your account and click Take me to my return

Select My Info (in the left column)

Select Edit next to your name

Scroll all the way down to A few other things we need to know and verify your answer to the first question.  If your parents have claimed you, you will want to answer Yes.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ with more info about Rejection Code IND-516:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5947691

View solution in original post

10 Replies
PatriciaR

Did you answer Yes to the question "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return?"

Here are the steps to get to that question and verify your answer:

Sign into your account and click Take me to my return

Select My Info (in the left column)

Select Edit next to your name

Scroll all the way down to A few other things we need to know and verify your answer to the first question.  If your parents have claimed you, you will want to answer Yes.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ with more info about Rejection Code IND-516:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5947691

i put down no and tried to file my taxes yet it says someone has claimed me i shouldnt be able to be claimed by anyone and im trying to file my tax return for 2019 what should i do?

Same thing is happening to me but none of my parents claimed me and I'm still getting the Reject Code IND-516-02. What do i do? i already sent the tax return in and can clear and redo everything. can i contact turbo tax and see what they can do?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What do you mean by ''you have already sent the tax return in''?    @william12521    If someone else has claimed you, you either have to mail in your tax return by choosing the File By Mail option or you have to answer YES to the ''someone else can claim me'' question.      You posted on an old thread, so I am not sure what you are referencing....     @william12521

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I asked both my parents and none of them claimed me and i claimed myself as a dependent and for the question if someone else can claim me as a dependent i check no. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@william12521 Yes you may contact Customer Support via phone; contact details can be found here.

I did they said they cant do anything about it. They said ask my mother and father to remove me from there taxes but i’m not on there taxes. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you are still getting the error message, you will need to mail your return in as you will not be able to electronically file.

If you have been unable to determine who has claimed you or used your Social Security number, you should also report this to the IRS in the event their is some sort of fraud.

Reporting suspected tax fraud

How can I remove my granddaughter as a dependent. So my return can be submitted . Thank you . 
because Federal and State returns rejected because it came back stating someone already claimed her . 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here are instructions to get to the Dependents section in order to remove your granddaughter.

If you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax, if you aren't already in it.
  2. Select My Info in the left navigation.
  3. Select the Add a dependent button if you need to add someone. Select the trash can icon next to the name of a dependent to remove them (we'll ask you to confirm removing them before we take them off your return).

If you are entitled to claim your granddaughter as a dependent, you can leave her on the return and mail in a paper return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies