Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependents

I just did my taxes with your organization. Was told that I couldn’t file my taxes as the head of household, nor did I get child taxes credits for my 17 year old, or money I have paid fir her college. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
EricE_CPA
Expert Alumni

Dependents

Hi Randell 68

Without having your tax return I can't quite say exactly as to why you were told you can't file as Head of Household. 

To be eligible to file as head of household you must meet all the following requirements.

1. You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. 

2. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

3. A qualifying person lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). 

Any chance were any of the following your situation:

- your 17 year provided more than half of their own support (supported themselves)?

- someone else claimed him/her as a dependent?

If you can share additional information that would be helpful

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Dependents

Hi Randell 68,

Thank you for being a part of this event! If you haven't filed your taxes yet, you should ask for assistance with your tax return! We are here to help whenever possible!

In order to file as Head of Household it is important that you:

1. Pay more than half of the household expenses that you provide for you and your child.

2. You must also be considered unmarried on the last day of the year.

3. You must have a dependent that qualifies

Being unmarried means:

1. You are filing a separate return

2. you paid more than than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year

3. If married, your spouse did not live with you for the last 6 months of the year.

4. Your home was the home of your child, step-child, or foster child for at leats 6 months of the year

5. You must be able to claim the child as a dependent unless the only reason that you can not claim the child is because the non custodial parent can claim the child under certain rules. 

Please bear in mind that there may be circumstances where you and your spouse may temporarily live apart, such as military service or attending college. However, the IRS still considers you are married for tax purposes!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SuziM

Dependents

Thanks for your participation in our Ask the Expert event regarding "How does the Child Tax Credit and Dependent Care Credit impact this year's tax return for you?"! We’d love to get your input on the event and your TurboTax experience: Click here to leave a video testimonial.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies