turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent status for COVID-19 stimulus check

I claimed my parents for my 2018 return. I have not filed 2019 return yet. Since dependent is not eligible for the $1,200 check from the gov't, how do I make my parents eligible? File their 2019 return eventhough their only income is SSA? File my 2019 return but not claiming them this year? Thank you for any advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You do not have to make any changes on how you have been filing your tax return or claiming your parents as dependents.

For the stimulus -

So how does this work? Do I need to file anything to get my check?  Technically, the checks are advances of refundable credits. Treasury will advance your check based on your most recently filed tax return (2018 or 2019 tax return). If you haven’t filed a tax return, the bill allows Treasury to use the information on your 2019 Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, Form RRB-1099, Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement.

What about retired folks? Retired seniors are eligible.

What about those on government benefits? And those with no income? Yes, eligible folks include those with no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from non-taxable means-tested benefit programs, such as SSI benefits. 

Yes, but I read that dependents are not eligible. For example:https://www.wsj.com/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-payments-from-the-government-[pho...

"Who qualifies for the stimulus payments?

The payments go to almost any adult with a Social Security number, as long as they aren’t dependents of someone else."

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct dependents are not eligible for the stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Right. So, if I don't do anything, per 2018 return, my parents are still my dependents. The question is, what is the best action for them to not be considered as dependent in 2019?

1. I file my return without using my parents as dependents. Would this undo them from 2018? or

2. I need to file my parents return for 2019, eventhough they are not require to file.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Since the bill has not even been voted into law yet, I would be careful about changing or preparing a tax return until final regulations have been published by the IRS. 

I listed my girlfriend and her three daughters on my 1040 as I thought I could take them as dependents. Turns out that I could not. She received her 1099 in the mail (as she is on Social Security). Since I couldn't take them as dependents, she should get her check as normal, right? Or do I have to amend my 2019 taxes to remove them from my 1040, even though I couldn't claim them? 

Thanks for your time and assistance. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, do not amend your return for that reason. 

The IRS will use the information they have for your girlfriend from her SSA-1099 information and send her a check. 

This is still all very new, but if for some reason your girlfriend does not receive a check for the children, she should file even if she doesn't need to. 

The stimulus checks are credits for 2020, so in the worst case, she could file her 2020 tax return, (which she could do next year) and get the credits then, but most likely she will get the checks this year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies