Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependency mistake & non-filer question

If by accident I marked myself as a ‘dependent’ on my 2019 taxes, and I didn’t receive my stimulus check. I heard that if you don’t receive the stimulus check this year, you can get it as credit on the 2020 taxes. However, I won’t be filing next year since I was unemployed and made no income whatsoever. Though no one claimed me, I was still considered ineligible and my amended return hasn’t been processed. Assuming that I can’t get the payment by the end of the year, will the dependency mistake affect my non-filer option to get the check next year as credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS computer will not allow e filing with an AGI of zero so you have to make it happy by reporting some income. Simply go to Income >Interest and report $1.00 of interest. Or you can mail your return if you wish. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You can file a 2020 return to get your stimulus even if you don’t have a filing requirement.  If you have zero AGI you can allow e filing by reporting one  dollar of interest. 

What do you mean by ‘reporting one dollar of interest’? I’m not really experienced with taxes so I’m not sure how I’d do that. Would you mind explaining? @Bsch4477 

The IRS computer will not allow e filing with an AGI of zero so you have to make it happy by reporting some income. Simply go to Income >Interest and report $1.00 of interest. Or you can mail your return if you wish. 

Got it! Thank you for explaining! 

So, will it ask me about where did that $1 of interest come from, or no?

If the form for reporting asks for the bank put “to enable e-filing “. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies