turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PnutKar

Deceased taxpayer(s) and Form 56

I completed entering my deceased parent's information into TTax 2019, tried to file, and received an error message (e-file rejected). My best option is now to print a hardcopy and mail in the return.

Now I find IRS Form 56!

If I read the instructions correctly, I need to file a separate Form 56 for my father, my mother, AND for the trust - all naming me as fiduciary as per the Certificate of Trust I hold:

1) Do I file three Form 56 as described (individually for each parent and the trust)?

2) Can Form 56 be mailed concurrent with the filing of the return, or even in the same envelope?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can file the notice concurrently with the return (Form 56 is filed with the same Internal Revenue Service Center where the return is filed).

Per Treas. Reg. §301.6903-1, you should file Form 56 whenever you are acting for another person in a fiduciary capacity, which would indicate separate forms for each party.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can file the notice concurrently with the return (Form 56 is filed with the same Internal Revenue Service Center where the return is filed).

Per Treas. Reg. §301.6903-1, you should file Form 56 whenever you are acting for another person in a fiduciary capacity, which would indicate separate forms for each party.

PnutKar

Sounds logical. I'll place two copies of Form 56 in with the final joint 1040 return, and submit a separate mailing for the trust itself when I file the 1041.

Thanks for the rapid response!!

nomadjan

do you use the federal form for state taxes. I cannot find a way to file for my mother in oklahoma

thanks,

@JA

@nomadjan 

Check the Oklahoma Tax Commission's web site (link below).

https://oklahoma.gov/tax/forms.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies