Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost of purchases and mileage

I have two questions. I started selling on ebay Jan , 2019 and did not have a carry forward inventory. So I put zero. The question cost of purchases are they asking for my sold items or for all the items for 2019 even if not sold yet? Last question I kept my receipts for purchases and mileage but I do not have my starting mileage for 2019 I am not sure what to do there. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, Cost of Purchases is what you bought to sell on ebay (whether sold or not). 

Then when you report sales and TurboTax subtracts from Current Inventory, you will have an Inventory Balance going forward, and Cost of Good Sold will be calculated automatically. 

You don't need your Beginning Mileage as long as you keep track of Business Mileage.  You can estimate your Total Mileage for the year. 

For example, if you put 10K miles on your vehicle, and 2K was for Business, then your Business Use of the vehicle is 20%.  

Click the link for more detailed info on Reporting Business Income and Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, Cost of Purchases is what you bought to sell on ebay (whether sold or not). 

Then when you report sales and TurboTax subtracts from Current Inventory, you will have an Inventory Balance going forward, and Cost of Good Sold will be calculated automatically. 

You don't need your Beginning Mileage as long as you keep track of Business Mileage.  You can estimate your Total Mileage for the year. 

For example, if you put 10K miles on your vehicle, and 2K was for Business, then your Business Use of the vehicle is 20%.  

Click the link for more detailed info on Reporting Business Income and Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies