Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SJGILLIAN

Continue Tax Return After Filing an Extension

I filed an extension (Federal/State) using Turbo Tax due to not having all the required information available. I have now received the needed information and need to know how to continue with my return correctly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SJGILLIAN

Anyone?

@SJGILLIAN wrote:

Anyone?

You have to sign onto your 2020 online account using the exact same User ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the User ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2020 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

SJGILLIAN

Thanks. I'm using the CD installed on my machine. My question is I initially completed the entire tax form and was missing a required tax document so had to request an extension and I paid what was due (estimate). I now have the required form and need to make those changes and submit the "final" return.  

Do I just make the necessary changes and move on or do I need to do anything special prior to continuing? I already paid a significant amount and when I'm done with the changes I'd like to see what additional money is owed vice having to subtract what I've already paid and have the IRS wondering where is the rest.

@SJGILLIAN wrote:

Thanks. I'm using the CD installed on my machine. My question is I initially completed the entire tax form and was missing a required tax document so had to request an extension and I paid what was due (estimate). I now have the required form and need to make those changes and submit the "final" return.  

Do I just make the necessary changes and move on or do I need to do anything special prior to continuing? I already paid a significant amount and when I'm done with the changes I'd like to see what additional money is owed vice having to subtract what I've already paid and have the IRS wondering where is the rest.

Just make the changes to the tax return as needed before filing.  Make sure that the payment made with the extension request is included on your tax return.

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 9. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 13 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies