Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Nick_Shl
Returning Member

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

For more info see How do I import my cryptocurrency transactions into TurboTax?

In the Wages and Income section under Investments and Savings (or Investment Income), select Start or Revisit next to Crypto (1099-B)

I don't see Crypto (1099-B) at all! Where can I find it?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

The section label is updated and does not include the word crypto, although that is the place to enter your crypto capital gains and losses.   

Use these instructions to enter your crypto trades.   TurboTax Online includes the word 'cryptocurrency' in the description, the desktop program does not.   But they both report crypto and the entry screens are the same.  

@Nick_Shl

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC 

The fact that it has been a year and is still a problem is why this thread is still relevant. It also shows how little intuit cares about their customers. Simply telling us to make our own .csv defeats the purpose of us paying for intuit to do it.

What a joke. Spent hours doing my taxes and of course crypto is the last section.  Nothing works.  Can't connect to coinbase to get my transaction  history.  Can't upload my .CSV file because coinbase and turbotax obviously don't communicate on any level.  No idea why a .pdf can't be used.  They claim to be partnered, but you can't use them together.   Time to find another tax prep service!

This is copy and pasted from the .CSV upload page while filing:

"Heads up! We’ve worked with Coinbase to match their CSV file. Make sure you use theirs, without changes.

You can upload a total of 4000 crypto sales across all your crypto CSV files."

Really?  Then why doesn't it work?  Why are you telling me to edit the .CSV file to match?  Above in quotes is exactly what it says when i try to upload the .CSV  This software hasn't been updated in years and turbotax doesn't give 2 sheets about making a small change so the headers match.

EDIT:  Done messing with it.  For 100$ i can get it done elsewhere for slightly less without the deceit. You lost another customer.

I believe they are only referring to Coinbase, not Coinbase Pro. Both platforms for some unknown reason provide totally different reports and generate different files.  It's such a bad setup by both TT and CB.

Yeah that's why I said coinbase.  I don't use coinbase pro.

Yep, doesn't work.  Which is really silly.  Seems like would be a simple fix.  Especially for me.  I use Coinbase and they just signed a deal with Turbotax.  Come on Turbo Tax get together and provide a solution.  The instructions they keep pushing on everybody doesn't work.

There's needs to be a lawsuit filed against them for false advertising. They're claiming that's it's so easy to filed crypto when nothing works with them. You can't charge and not provide the claimed service it really is a fraud at this point.

It's truly pathetic that we have to pay TurboTax plus a third party to do the job intuit falsely claims they'll do.

As the original poster of this I have done my taxes this year and found that the Turbo Tax will bring in the records from Coinbase now. I don't know if the limit on buys/exchanges still apply (something like max of 250) but, I didn't have very many. Turbo Tax asked for my login to Coinbase, I got an email from Coinbase asking if I allowed it, then it imported my records and showed the same results as the records I had downloaded myself from Coinbase.

I don't know about other exchanges anyone may be using that may also work but, it does import from Coinbase now and you don't have to try to manually upload the records into TurboTax.

Just a note: after completing my taxes I went back to Coinbase and changed the password I had given to Turbo Tax.

Lloyd

How?  What version are you using? If you are talking about the online version of Turbo Tax yes I can see that it lets you do that.  However, I am using the desktop version of Turbo Tax and when clicking on "Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement" seems to be the only way to initiate "importing" the information.  When you use that a box appears with the name of the "financial institution" and Coinbase doesn't appear in the search.  Seems weird that online will let you do it but the desktop version will not.   Makes no sense.  The Desktop version doesn't recognize the .csv file, login to your Coinbase account or let you import it.

I do use the online TurboTax as I have a side business that I need to use more than the basic program. I have used the box program in the past but, found the online version much more comprehensive. I guess they can only put so much into the box set since they know it will change next year and the Gov makes changes to the tax laws at the last minute, after the boxes are already on the shelves.

Lloyd

purepez

It's Feb 28 now and still no fix. 

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

You can enter an overall total for long and/or short term sales of stocks bonds and other investment type transactions.  Long term would be listed as one line item and short term would be listed as another line item.

See our FAQ on how you can enter a large number of transactions into Turbo Tax.

@purepez

You still can't do it though without entering them one by one.  This should have been fixed now that you have a relationship with Coinbase.  It works for online but not the desktop.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies