Where do I enter investment sales? - Community

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

English Français
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
,Created with Sketch.388 helpful votes

Where do I enter investment sales?

When you sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or other securities, you should get Form 1099-B from your brokerage by mid-February. Simply enter the form into TurboTax to report the sale.

But what about non-security investment sales like coins, collectibles, timber, land, or a second home? Here's how you enter those:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds,  or other investments in 2019?
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.
  4. Answer No to the 1099-B question.
  5. On the next screen, select the type of sale you had (like second home, collectible, or land) and Continue.
  6. Continue following the onscreen instructions to enter the sale.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Privacy Settings