Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

I tried testing the sample transaction history from the cointracker to TurboTax. Turbotax still says "No Headers found in table" message or we will have a proper csv file generated only after we pay the premium on cointracker that we can upload to TurboTax.
Can anyone recommend the correct approach for filing crypto tax for 2020?

Niwa1100

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

I paid for cointracker, and I believe they had a few different csv files, one of them being specifically for TurboTax. It worked just fine, but I had to pay $200 which still feels ridiculous.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@dev786   Create your own csv file that has these columns in this order.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have been having this issue the last month and need it resolved. I have ALGO rewards and have under 2000 transactions but too many for me to want to write them myself. 
this is the purpose of your product, to streamline these processes.

If this is not resolved in a week I will be submitting what I can and reporting TurboTax AND coinbase to BBB for falsely claiming their service works when it doesn’t. I am not paying a 3rd party when TurboTax and coinbase are supposed to do this for me, as required by law.

I just wanna say it's 2022 and this is STILL A PROBLEM

I plan to purchase some crypto tax service this year. TurboTax is probably not going to solve this for the users. You can try this https://andywu.github.io/buckgo/ . But it was written for importing 2020 Coinbase records, not for 2021.

Accointing.com didn't give me any issues when uploading last tax season. 

I honestly just ended up paying for someone to do the crypto portion and still do -- I'm glad some people are posting more solutions but yeah, I just went with Cryptotrader.tax. There are some taht do free services for low amounts of trades but I just assumed it was a sunk cost -_- "Innovation Tax". Hoping there's enough time to find a reasonable solution with all the other responses.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You can now import your cryptocurrency transactions from more than 15 different cryptocurrency services directly into TurboTax:

• Robinhood
  • Coinbase
  • Coinbase Pro
  • Gemini
  • Binance.US
  • Crypto.com
  • Kraken
  • Uphold
  • Celsius
  • Bittrex
  • FTX.US
  • CoinTracker
  • BitStamp
  • Gate.io
  • CEX.IO
  • Poloniex
  • Bitfinex
  • HitBTC

For more info see How do I import my cryptocurrency transactions into TurboTax?

@ErnieS0 

Have you read the thread?  

To all you "Tax Experts" that keep parroting the same garbage about,"follow these instructions to get it to work," you can GFY. It's not cute that you are pretending to be ignorant of the problem. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you are importing a CSV file, try creating a new blank file with one header row with only the 5 key column labels (description, purchase date, sold date, proceeds, and cost basis) at the top.  If you are using the file from the crypto exchange or aggregator, it may have something hidden or embedded in the header row that prevents it from importing.

Then copy and paste the data.  Make sure it is saved as a *.csv file.   If you have a large number of transactions, try breaking your data up into two smaller files. 

You can use this link if you want to start a new thread as this one is from last year and is filled with unrelated or outdated info.

Importing Crypto with CSV file FAQ

@etb4u

Dude, start from the beginning.  TurboTax and Coinbase/Coinbase Pro do not talk to each other and their reports aren't compatible.

That's the problem, Coinbase Pro doesn't give you the cost basis, that's why we need TurboTax to crunch the transactions and figure that out for us.  Coinbase Pro just gives a list of transactions.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The cost basis is what you originally paid for the cryptocurrency you sold on coinbase.  There is no way for TurboTax to figure your cost basis for you.  

Cryptocurrency trader files that are uploaded to TurboTax may not have the correct basis amounts (the amounts you bought the cryptocurrency for).  You should review the transactions that you have imported to make sure those amounts are accurate.

Here’s how to report earnings and losses from Cryptocurrency in TurboTax.

Here’s how to import your crypto transactions into TurboTax.

Here’s how to report Cryptocurrency as a capital gain.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies