Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

andrewkbradshaw
Returning Member

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

Thank you! This worked very well. Only minor issues with one transaction that was on the order of 10^-16 dollars (turbotax complained, I just deleted the line) and the purchase date being after the sell date (according to turbotax...). Otherwise, fabulous work, saved a bunch of time thanks!

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

The link with the solution does not longer provides a solution.

It says " Coinbase no longer supports the direct upload of your CSV file to TurboTax, resulting in an error message for some users.

Coinbase recommends using CoinTracker  to calculate your cryptocurrency gains and losses and to access your CSV file."

All we need is a nice human being that can show me how to arrange the .csv file, and I'll do the rest.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

There are several compatible aggregators that can be used to help with the import:

Only one .csv file can be uploaded at a time. 

In general, the .csv file should be provided via download from your cryptocurrency platform.

The columns for your .csv file should be resorted to match TurboTax, ideally. The compatible aggregators should provide you with this. The .csv file would include details in columns left to right:

1. Service name (examples: Coinbase)
  2. Asset name (examples: Bitcoin, Ethereum)
  3. Date of purchase
  4. Cost basis
  5. Date of sale
  6. Sale proceeds

If you have more transactions than can be uploaded into TurboTax, enter them in summary form yourself according to whether they were held short-term, one year or less, or long-term, more than one year.

Then, within three days of submitting your tax return, send Form 8453 with your cost basis details from your aggregator service.

For more information, see: How is cryptocurrency like Bitcoin taxed?

I’m mining Bitcoin, what does that mean for my taxes?

I received free stock and was issued Form 1099-MISC for my cryptocurrency. How do I report this?

Cointracker provides the option to download two types of CSV files, Transaction History and Capital Gains. The Capital Gains CSV file is the one that will upload into TT correctly. This can be found by going to the "Taxes" tab at the top of the screen and selecting "Tax Center." Then, scroll down until you see "Tax Reports" on the right hand side of the screen. Click on "CSV Reports" and download "Capital Gains CSV." This should result in a successful upload of your transactions into TurboTaxScreenshot 2021-03-17 233650.jpg

dg31
Level 1

There was never an problem getting the cointracker information. The problem is pay another $50 plus dollars for something turbotax is advertising and misleading as free. 

Sorry for any confusion @dg31 . Several people in other blog posts were experiencing problems with Cointracker as well, so I posted in several places just in case.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ for more information. 

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey @SForrestLO 

Why does the website still say that it supports Coinbase?

Awful support... Do you even understand the issue here? TurboTax advertises that they support Coinbase! That is the issue. If you are not going to fix the issue, then DO NOT ADVERTISE COMPATIBILITY!

You are purposefully misleading your customers... and to top it off, you actually refer your customers to a 3rd party service, cointracker, which is a FOR PROFIT service! You are scam artists and you are defrauding people.

Get your act together TurboTax...

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Many customers have had success using this procedure:

1. Download the CSV file to your computer.
  2. Modify the file so that only the following 5 columns appear:  

Purchase Date;  Date Sold;  Proceeds;  Cost Basis; Currency Name

3. Import this CSV file into TurboTax.

@BHud

@SoupD

@jkbowling

@Irene2805 

Here is the problem, there are the headers Coinbase gives you:

TimestampTransaction TypeAssetQuantity TransactedUSD Spot Price at TransactionUSD SubtotalUSD Total (inclusive of fees)USD Fees

Notes

To get cost basis and proceeds we would have to separate buys and sells. If we wanted to do all of that, we'd have manually done it instead of paying for TurboTax to do it.

GabiU
Level 15

Moved to deleted. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Gioz
Level 2

why don't you fix it already on your side and let us finish what we started without any extra headache???

there are no such headers on coinbase nor kraken anything close to what you instructed to keep. it's completly different structure of csv files. WE DEMAND THIS TO BE FIXED RIGHT AWAY!!! I WANT TO FINISH MY TAXES ALREDY!!!!

Gioz
Level 2

are you playing stupid or you actually are stupid??? this was said before by other customers of yours that this link is not useful what you just posted and doesn't work out for us! this is your [profanity removed]  and needs to be fixed buy you right now for what we are paying for. I'm soo [removed] off right now! I wan't to finish up my taxes and you are forcing us to other website to pay another $200 on top of your fee?!

turbotax advartises "

• Covers stocks, bonds, ESPPs, and other investments
  • Auto import of investment income
  • Covers rental property income and tax deductions
  • Accurately account for gains and losses from cryptocurrency transactions"

I was turbotax customer for soo many years and you just lost one and I'm sure many more will like me dump your service!!!

@GabiU 

Forwarded to Daniel Girard of Girard Sharp LLP and Norman E. Siegel of Stueve Siegel Hanson LLP so they can start another class action lawsuit against you.

What you're doing is the exact definition of bait and switch.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies