Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

Still giving that message. They refer you to cointracker. which would cost 40% of my profits as a small trader in crypto. IDK what to do now. Thanks for nothing Turbo Tax.

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

PREACH

jino284

What the heck... if turbotax cannot import coinbase transactions... why are they charging the fees for ? 

aasmitty6

I specifically signed up for premium turbotax because they advertised coinbase support... Blows me away they still haven't figured this out...

This!!!!

For paying lazy a$$ engineers who don't feel like formatting csv outputs properly. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Coinbase has made changes to the way transactions are uploaded. Please refer to the article below.

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AkinaLO  Horrible customer support. TurboTax still shows a message saying that they support the CSV file from coinbase.

From TurboTax 2:35PM (CST) March 4th 2021:
"Heads up, we only support CSV files from partners. Your Coinbase file will be compatible as long as it's under 2251 transactions. If you are uploading multiple files, the total of all transactions must be below 2251."

(As with many who have been following this discussion, my file is not over 2251 transactions and should be compatible.)

You have completely missed the mark here. Your service (TurboTax) still says it will support the CSV file from Coinbase. If this is not the case, then why is TurboTax advertising compatibility with Coinbase?! This is a serious violation of trust and it makes TurboTax feel like a scam. You do realize that the service you are referring your customers to (CoinTracker) is a FOR PROFIT service?

Turbo Tax: 0/10 would not recommend!

Hey @AkinaLO why is TurboTax still advertising that they support the import?

Well [removed] why don't you update the [removed] website/app?

@AkinaLO 

That has already been posted several times.  Getting us to pay for your product due to you saying we can import Robinhood, Webull, Coinbase, etc, then having issues with the import, then you saying we can import if we pay for another product is actually illegal.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/bait_and_switch

Instead of pandering another product and breaking the law, get the product you sold us fixed.

elonmusck9877
Returning Member

Reported to bbb and ftc. Everyone do the same! Intuit has been abusing it's monopolistic power for way too long. The gov already knows how much we owe, but Intuit keeps on lobbying to keep filing tax complicated and difficult so it can stay in business and make billions from our time and suffering. how many lifetimes do we collectively waste every year just from typing W-2s into turbotax? and now we can't even report bitcoin transactions without stabbing ourselves in the left eye. We have no choice to but to file with Intuit or hr block and they know it. Watch hasan minhaj's episode "why doing taxes is so hard". Intuit provides 0 value to the society and should cease to exist. 

https://twitter.com/hasanminhaj/status/[phone number removed]7380225?lang=es

elonmusck9877
Returning Member

i hope they get sued 

@andycswu i was able to get it to import, but the current name did not map into TurboTax so it's blank. Were you able to figure that out? 

SOLVE:

You can import to your crypto trades using the column headers below...

Asset namePurchase DateCost BasisDate soldProceeds

...note that the error message TT provides states the first column should be "Currency Name" but that will NOT map and the coin name will not be imported. Make sure to label it "Asset Name"

NOTE: I agree the Coinbase CSV will not directly import, that is not TT fault though. TT is asking for paired trades buy/sell. Coinbase is not providing that, rather that are just exporting your transactions. Their export does NOT show which buy goes to which sell... This is a HUGE miss by Coinbase. 

All stock brokerage firms started providing the 1099 info in 2011 due to regulations stemming the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (aka bank bailout of 2008), honestly not sure how Coinbase is getting away with this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies