Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

plzdntauditme
Returning Member

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

The problem isn't whether we can get the csv file. It's that it's an additional paid service to fix a dysfunctional feature on your site. Get with your advertised partner and fix the problem.

dg31
Level 1

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

So you want me to manually group, add and enter hundreds of transactions for many different coins? lol. Wow that's some solution there. 

@DawnC  @Cynthiad66

Turbotax still lists Coinbase as a partner and that is Coinbase is supported. This issue is not resolved and the information is incorrect. This was as of 11:38AM EST on 2/25/21.

Even clicking on Coinbase still states that as long as the number of transactions is under 2251, the Coinbase CSV works. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

I don't know why my images were taken down... or at least not showing up any more, attached are the screenshots, I took the 2nd image again right now at 7:05 PM EST 2/25/21. 

@DawnC @Cynthiad66 

Untitled-1.jpgCoinbase 2.jpg

@DawnC @Cynthiad66 

Just coming back with a daily update. As of 2/26/2021 at 10:17 am CST, TurboTax still advertises support for Coinbase CSV files, and Coinbase still advertises partnership with TurboTax to allow for Gain/Loss calculation in the current software release. Fix the problem so the service works as advertised by TurboTax and Coinbase, instead of forcing us to pay for a third-party service.

Screenshot (81)_LI.jpgScreenshot (82)_LI.jpgScreenshot (77)_LI.jpg

I just filed a consumer complaint against Intuit / TurboTax with my state's Attorney General. They are still advertising that they support Coinbase, but after talking to support yesterday it is clear that they do not and will not support it. This is false advertising and is illegal. 

I would suggest everyone affected do the same. Next stop BBB. 

Oh I didnt find anything that works. I just decided I wasn't going to continue messing around with it. If a company can get their sh*t together in 4 or 5 years I'll file then. Otherwise, hell with em. They can come and take it by force for all I care.

I didn't see this posted, but if you go to bitcoin.tax, you can upload your coinbase transactions there.  Then, it will generate a .csv that ACTUALLY FREAKING WORKS with TurboTax. I only had a few dozen trades, so it was free. But, even the plan with 10,000 trades is only $39.95.  For mine, it would even list out the date acquired, date sold, cost basis and proceeds.  So, you may be able to get that for free and do it manually if you have too many trades for the free one.

That being said, a big GFY to Coinbase and TurboTax for bait and switch.

Hey does anyone know if these third party apps like bitcoin.tax work with Coinbase Pro too (not just coinbase)?

Hopefully it doesn't come to using a third party but I'll need to know if intuit doesn't pull through...

I've been able to get all my Coinbase Pro info in no problem through CryptoTrader.Tax. Here's the guide they have on their site - https://help.cryptotrader.tax/en/articles/2985132-coinbase-pro-api-import-guide

FYI just received this from coin base...

Thank you for contacting Coinbase Support.

The Gain/Loss calculator is no longer available and Coinbase does not currently provide a Gain/Loss report. The transaction history CSV file that you generated is not compatible with TurboTax and we currently do not offer a report that is compatible with their service.

We encourage you to consider using CoinTracker to calculate your crypto gains/losses, this is free to Coinbase customers (up to 25 transactions) and can upload your gains and losses directly into TurboTax. More information can be found at: https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/taxes-reports-and-financial-services/taxes/using-turbotax-or-c...

If you have sold or converted crypto and are eligible for US taxes, you must report your trades to the IRS. If you’d like to calculate your net gains or losses, you may need transaction history reports of your purchases and sales.

rval
Level 1

Can't believe that both turbotax and Coinbase advertises compatibility with each service and yet suggests a paid 3rd party company to appropriately upload the information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/cryptocurrency/help/how-do-i-get-a-csv-file-from-coinbase/00/27533 

My decision to upgrade to Turbo tax premier was to simplify reporting my crypto earnings given Coinbase was listed as a partner. After 4 years of using Turbotax will be looking into other alternatives. 

If anyone starts a class action lawsuit, I'm in. TurboTax should feel ashamed for being such a suck of a company. Hurr durrr, how does javascript even work!? You're a trash scam company.

hey turbotax, you're a monopoly who really don't give a sh*t, we get it. but for the sake of pretending to be a legit company, fix the coinbase csv upload problem. it's really not that hard and everyone with some basic computer knowledge knows that. really doesnt hurt to stay for 30 min after 4pm to code a few more lines to fix it. do it.

PoorDad69

All you have to do is go to your coinbase account. Click on taxes, go to cointracker, pay the fee to generate your history. Then upload it to turbo. IF YOU DONT PAY AND YOU TRY USING THE FREE CVS REPORT. IT WILL NOT WORK. I paid $59.00 to cointracker and it works to upload the file to turbo.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies