Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Meganmartin
Returning Member

Claiming a child

I took care of my cousin for the year of 2020. I want to claim her on my taxes, but I also don’t want to get into trouble for claiming her. Me and my cousins father didn’t go thru the court because he is trying to get his life together and he didn’t want to lose her permanently. He has not worked in 2 years, so he will not be filing taxes. I would also like to add, she did not want to leave her current school, and I currently live outside the school district so me and my grandmother agreed for her to get off the bus at her house and I would be there ready to pick her up.  I have a document written up that I am her caretaker when it comes to doctors and school and everything else. Will me having one address and the child I’m trying to claim having a different address affect my taxes if I claim her? Should I claim her? She did live with me For the whole year. I housed her, I feed her, I bought all her clothes, I paid for all of her school activities, I took her to doctors appointments and everything else. Could I get audited if I do claim her? Like I said she has never been claimed on anyone’s taxes as far as I am aware and her mother ran off when she was a year old. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Claiming a child

From the information that you posted you have met the qualifications to claim her. 

Meganmartin
Returning Member

Claiming a child

She is currently now back with her father. He got a job and got a place to stay and he came and got her on the 7th of January of this year. That wouldn’t affect me right? 
I would also like to add he is going to get help from community action to get his power and water turned on with her information as well and it will be a different address. Would that cancel me out from claiming her from the 2020 year? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies