turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsmelson2810
Returning Member

Children's SS#

On my 2020 1040 tax return I included my dependent children's SS#'s.  Turbo Tax included them under credit for other dependents and not my children.  This effected the Child Tax Credit I should have received.  How do I correct this on an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Children's SS#

If only the $500 Credit for Other Dependent populated on your return, rather than the Child Tax Credit, then it is likely your child is aged 17 or older. The $500 Credit for Other Dependents was signed into law as part of the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and is in effect for tax years 2018 through 2025. The credit allows taxpayers a credit for certain dependents that don't qualify for the Child Tax Credit, such as qualifying children age 17 or older, adult dependents, and dependents who have an ITIN.

Please see Intuit What is the $500 Credit for Other Dependents (“Family Tax Credit”)? for more information. 

Why am I getting the Credit for Other Dependents instead of the Child Tax Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rsmelson2810
Returning Member

Children's SS#

My children are 3 and 5 years old.  Neither are over 17 years of age.  How do I correct the tax return?

Children's SS#

First do not amend any return until the IRS fully processes the original return AND you  have the original refund in hand.  

Then start the amendment process and review/edit the kids in the MY INFO section since you must have made a data entry error in that section.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies