Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

checking a retuned mailed

I've sent in my taxes was wondering if trubo tax would be able to check status if they are finished or time line being sent out? getting  hold of the irs is like talking to can with a string attach. please let me know the  situation. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@heinrich51  Here is what happens :

(a) when  you e-file a return ( to the IRS  for example ), TurboTax  transmits the return to a holding tank ( kind of ), from which the IRS picks up the  file , make sure it is clean, checks  that it can be processed, and then if so leaves   an acknowledgement  " Accepted" ;  TurboTax then picks up this  "Accepted"  status  and ends an email to you telling you of the status.  Same thing happens if the return is rejected.   Thus it knows your return status.  Thereafter you can find the status of processing by going to the  IRS site and looking for "Where is My Refund"  page. TurboTax is not allowed to keep checking the progress of the processing , because of confidentiality  rules imposed by the IRS.  So only you can look at this page.

(b) When you file by mail, TurboTax only knows that you have prepared the return, have printed it for filing by mail. Thereafter TurboTax  has no way of  knowing the status of the return processing and /or refund issuance ( except for the case where TurboTax or its agent is  going to get the refund amount and then after adjustment for its fees issue you a card or other means  to make the amount available to you.  Mailed in returns need to be scanned and then "perfected" before processing by the IRS and hence take a lot longer than e-filed returns. TurboTax has no way of knowing the status of the return processing  except  what you can see at www.irs.gov  site on the page  "Where is My Refund"  -- which they are prevented  from accessing legally. 

I would suggest, wait at least  six weeks from the time when you mailed the return  and then check the "Where is My Refund" page.  If you call the IRS and get a live agent, he/she also can only see this page -- they do have more access , but this is the most upto date info.

I am sorry , it is long answer to a short question , but ....

pk

the short answer is that Turbotax can not check the status whether mailed or e-filed. it gets no updates once accepted if e-filed and no updates at all if mailed. if you mail the return you should always use a method for tracking the return. the USPS does lose mail. I can attest to that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies