Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Check This Entry: TY22 CLCO Wksht Row B AMT

I also did not have forms in the PDFs of 21 and 22 that the 23 Easy Step was referencing. However, when I opened the previous years returns using the software, they were there. I think TT does not put them in the printed copy (or PDF) if they are not relevant (for example if you are not subject to AMT). I also came to the conclusion that the prompts that ask for these "Row B AMT" and "Row A AMT" are in error. These lines do not exist as far as I can tell. What I did was to go to the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet (labeled Cap Ls Carrovr in the list) and filled in the values manually. Again, I actually had to open the TY21 and TY22 returns with the program, not just the PDF. Notably there is not mention of "Row A or B", but the worksheet points you to lines that actually exist. After I did this, TT declared my return error free.

Once again I'm really annoyed. 1 - these figures should be automatically filled if you use TT for many years and keep the returns on your computer. 2 - TT does nothing to point you to the right place to find them yourself. and now I add 3 - a so called "expert" in this thread gave a woefully vague answer, and has done zero to clarify.

I am seriously looking for another filing solution for next year.

Oh, and while I'm at it... Turbo Tax keeps spamming me with bull**bleep** "Badges" as if I were 5 years old. They ought to put some effort into actually answering the question that so many users have instead. 

I'm having the same problem and can't get an answer 

I have the same problem, asking for both Row A and Row B AMT. I don't even have the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet from TT 2022. Anybody found the solution?

I also check the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet, there doesn't seem to have Row A.

Johnnie J

So I have the same problem, I'm going with the info from the 2022 Federal Carryover Worksheet item 12a and 12b (have the same request for Row A AMT).  

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Based on the information shared here, it seems that TurboTax is trying to fill in some missing information and is asking you to enter Row A and Row B AMT values.  There is a Row A and Row B shown on a Worksheet that is only  visible in Forms Mode for CD/downloaded versions of TurboTax.  

Row A represents the net short-term capital gain or loss shown on the 2022 Schedule D Line 7.  There is an entry for both regular tax and AMT on Row A.  If you were not subject to AMT and did not have a Schedule D for AMT, then enter the same value for both regular tax and AMT.

Row B represents the net long-term capital gain or loss shown on the 2022 Schedule D Line 15.  Again, there is an entry for both regular tax and AMT on Row A.  If you were not subject to AMT and did not have a Schedule D for AMT, then enter the same value for both regular tax and AMT.

This information can also be entered through step-by-step mode by going to Wages and Income > Investment Income > Capital Loss Carryover.  

@Johnnie J 

@lzzhang 

@CorvetteJudy 

@justcuzz 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I encountered the same bug/error using TurboTax Premier On-line during filing 2023 return on the last week of March 2024.  Unfortunately, information in this thread didn't help because either the advice applied to desktop version where you can access this form or TurboTax software maintenance made the bug worse since original solution. So i am posting here to tell people using on-line version not to waste time on some of the solutions. There was nowhere I could find to unclick the option for my return being affected by the capital loss 21 to 22 carryover glitch, but I saw this option selected (and hardcoded!) on the form that causes the error. BTW my return was not only unaffected based on timing of my filing last year, but i also didn't have any capital loss carryovers from 2021 to 2022. This is a blatant and vicious time wasting bug that doubled my time filing the return this year. Also, what another solution that didn't work for me was trying to go to capital loss screen and click through it. The error still appears during "check". Finally, I just had to deal with the error right there and then. I scrolled around on the hardcoded "form" that causes the error (that's where I found that TT deemed by return affected by glitch) and see that this form is internal and doesn't go to the IRS. I just plugged the amount from my Schedule D. I didn't have the same form or AMT form in any of my previous returns and just used the amount straight from the line of Schedule D of 2022 return that TT wanted. So after plugging one amount to address one "error" I kept getting two more "errors" sequentially during the "check" process on the SAME internal form and I just kept plugging the amounts from other lines of 2022 Schedule D. Finally the evil TT software was satisfied. I then had no further issues during "check" and filing.

capybarus, thanks for your post. Did you try what "AnnetteB6" suggested?

@AnnetteB6  Thank you. I have downloaded Mac version, however, I don't have the worksheet with Row A and Row B.

So do you mean that if I was not subjected to AMT (I wasn't), for Row A I can use the number from 2022 Schedule D Line 7, for Row B I can use the number from 2022 Schedule D Line 15

Yes, AnnetteB6 refers to the desktop version of TurboTax. There is NO Forms Mode in the on-line TT Premier version. This is, unfortunately, one of the TT differences in product and I wasted a lot of time looking for Forms on-line, but then re-read AnnetteB6 response and she refers to "downloaded" TT, which must be the desktop version.

@lzzhang - yes, this is what I ended up doing. I ended up just copying over numbers straight from Schedule D from previous 1040 package (based on the line item numbers that were causing three errors).  NOT from last year's TT worksheet. NOT from AMT Schedule D or worksheet.  Because these were not accessible and not available to me.  The on-line TT Premier version accepted those numbers (from normal Schedule D) and allowed me to e-File 2023 1040 package. As I wrote in my post, I am pretty sure this is a non-consequential worksheet that TT just put in place to annoy users.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Yes, when TurboTax asks for information for Row A and Row B AMT values, you should enter the information from your 2022 Schedule D line 7 and line 15.

If your return included a second Schedule D AMT showing different values for line 7 and line 15, then use those.

@lzzhang 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
doug_dyer

Here's a thought intuit:  If you need a field from a previous year and we imported a previous year turbo tax file at the start why don't you just go grab the **bleep** number and avoid us having to figure this out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies