roederjh

Charged for State Filing

Why was I charged $24.99 for state filing? My software said it was free.

Charged for State Filing

Using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download Deluxe edition or higher you receive one free state program download included in the purchase price.  It is not one free state e-filing.

The current e-file charge for a state tax return is $24.99.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

Coachsteve

Charged for State Filing

Why am I getting the message I have to pay 49.99 each for 2 states

I bought Premier that comes with 1 free state

soccermomnomore

Charged for State Filing

I purchased the Deluxe plus one state version and it says on the package 19.99 for state e-filing.  Now is is trying to charge me 24.99 plus tax, what's the extra charge?

Charged for State Filing

@soccermomnomore wrote:

Every March the price increases from the early filer discount to the standard price.  The price increase was on March 1.

soccermomnomore

Charged for State Filing

Wonderful, where is that in all the fine print?

soccermomnomore

Charged for State Filing

I appreciate the explanation!

Charged for State Filing

@soccermomnomore wrote:

Go to the TurboTax website for the CD/Download editions and under the editions click on the Link under the price 1 state downloadhttps://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Scroll down to the bottom of the open window and the following is stated -

* Additional fees apply for e-filing state returns ($24.99). E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns. All prices are subject to change without notice.

njhprovo

Charged for State Filing

This is the TurboTax SCAM!!

What you get when you pay for TurboTax is Federal, one state, and Federal e-file.

Then they charge you $25.00 to e-file the state, on top of what you already paid!!

They should include the state e-filing in the cost of what you pay for.

Their packaging is VERY misleading.

Charged for State Filing

@njhprovo wrote:

This is the TurboTax SCAM!!

Their packaging is VERY misleading.

You can print and mail the state tax return and avoid the e-file charges entirely.  That is what I do each year with my state return.  A week or two difference in receiving the state refund is no big deal.

njhprovo

Charged for State Filing

The big deal is that you pay a lot expecting to get what common sense tells you - federal and one state and e-filing for both.

Printing and mailing the state return both creates more work for the state employees, and goes against the whole idea of digitalization, and creates more work for you when you paid for the software to do it.

I love TurboTax. It is great software. It is disingenuous of them to do this to their customers.

delilahsbutterfly

Charged for State Filing

it is really kinda a big deal. I was paying or thought I was paying for the deluxe which said it would file my federal and state without me having to print it out to mail. I do not have a printer to be able to print it out and send in, that is why I thought I was paying for one thing and then got charged a whole different amount. I guess I will sit with someone next year and just do it on irs site where I would only be charged for state  for $10.00.