Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains vs Taxable income

I’d like to know how my crypto gains will be taxed if I’m already a high income earner. For the sake of ease, let’s say I’m married filing jointly and earn from all income sources $364,200, the cap of the 24% tax bracket. However, I sell crypto and make long term capital gains of $90,000. I’ll pay 15% on those gains, but will this 90k also count toward my total income, pushing my income to $454,200, making all of the 90k taxed at the next tax bracket up at 35%? A double tax? Also, in this scenario, how do I calculate the net investment income tax (NIIT) of 3.8%, which is applied to us after 250k. Thanks for sorting this out! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @BtcOnly,

Assuming the crypto has been held for investment, and for a period longer than one year, it will be taxed at long term capital gains rates. This tax is calculated separately from you ordinary income, with standard tax brackets.

Following your example, a married filing joint couple will have their ordinary income of $364,200 taxed through the 24% tax bracket. Separately, the capital gains of 90k from selling crypto held long term will be taxed at 15%. Net Investment Income Tax will also apply. The tax from each will then be summed together to reach the total tax liability for the year.

The Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) is generally 3.8% of the amount of Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) that exceeds the applicable thresholds or the net investment income—whichever is the smaller figure. The thresholds are: 

• Filing a joint return or qualifying surviving spouse status: $250,000
  • Married filing separately: $125,000
  • Single and head-of-household: $200,000

The NIIT is calculated on form 8960. Here is some additional information regarding NIIT and form 8960: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/what-is-form-8960-net-investment-income-t... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Note that the tax is calculated on your taxable income, not total income or AGI. Taxable income is total income minus adjustments (if any) and either the standard deduction or itemized deductions. The brackets for both ordinary income and long term capital gain are based on taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies