turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Gain

Why is Turbotax Home & Business calculating that I owe a capital gain tax on the sale of a primary residence when I meet all of the residency requirements?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Capital Gain

@kmwash wrote:

Why is Turbotax Home & Business calculating that I owe a capital gain tax on the sale of a primary residence when I meet all of the residency requirements?

Go back through the Sale of Home section and make sure you have answered all of the questions in each screen correctly - it is easy to miss one.

Capital Gain

I've gone through all of the questions to ensure I have answered correctly. The Home Sale questions came up as I was entering Home Office expenses. Is the Capital gain a result of the Home Office?

Capital Gain

@kmwash wrote:

I've gone through all of the questions to ensure I have answered correctly. The Home Sale questions came up as I was entering Home Office expenses. Is the Capital gain a result of the Home Office?

Yes. You will have what is known as Unrecaptured Section 1250 gain in the amount of depreciation deductions allowed (or allowable) which will not be excluded (i.e., that part of the gain is taxable).

argh
Level 1

Capital Gain

Thank you! This solved my mysterious "gain" - THANK YOU!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies