Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caj1
Level 2

cannot efile federal return

I receive pension income from the UK. I enter this on form 4852. Question 6 asks for employer's TIN. But this does not exist in the UK so I enter nine 9's. This is ok if filing by mail but Turbotax won't allow me to efile because TIN is invalid. Does anyone know of a work-around?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Please enter under Other Income.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "other reportable income" and Enter
  • Select Jump to other reportable income
  • Next screen, Other Wages Received, select No to continue
  • Next screen, scroll down all the way to the bottom, under Other reportable income, select Start
  • Next screen, Any Other Taxable Income? select Yes to continue

Tax treaty-related matters are out of scope for our advice.  Generally, the UK pension is taxable to the US. You would not need to file the Form 8833 Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure.  However, you would need to consult another professional who is specialized in it for verification.  Some other foreign pension might not be taxable if it is covered under any tax treaties between the foreign country and the United States.  For more information, see http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/The-Taxation-of-Foreign-Pension-and-Annuity-Distributions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Please enter under Other Income.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "other reportable income" and Enter
  • Select Jump to other reportable income
  • Next screen, Other Wages Received, select No to continue
  • Next screen, scroll down all the way to the bottom, under Other reportable income, select Start
  • Next screen, Any Other Taxable Income? select Yes to continue

Tax treaty-related matters are out of scope for our advice.  Generally, the UK pension is taxable to the US. You would not need to file the Form 8833 Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure.  However, you would need to consult another professional who is specialized in it for verification.  Some other foreign pension might not be taxable if it is covered under any tax treaties between the foreign country and the United States.  For more information, see http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/The-Taxation-of-Foreign-Pension-and-Annuity-Distributions

caj1
Level 2

This is much, much simpler than filling out forms 4852, which have to be done from scratch each year. I assume IRS will accept this. Thank you.

caj1
Level 2

This was ok for my federal return but not for my Kentucky state return. By entering pensions as other income it significantly increased my Kentucky AGI and tax liability.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@caj1 Yes, if your state excludes Retirement Income from taxes, it would be best for you to enter your Foreign Pension with a Substitute 1099-R, Form 4852. 

You should be able to Efile by leaving the EIN field blank.  You may get an error in Review, but continue and you should still be able to efile.

Click this link for more info on Form 4852 EIN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies