turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ut
Level 2

Can't update Turbo Tax, Microsoft Installer error: 1648

After updating Windows 10, version 1909, I receive this message when trying to update Federal Tax Forms

Failed to install update. Microsoft Installer error: 1648, No valid sequence could be found for the set of updates

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ut
Level 2

rolled back to: Windows 10, version 1903

Still get the same error

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click here for some steps that may help you with the 1648 error. If it does not, please click click here for directions to get in contact with customer care.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ut
Level 2

The manual update results in the same 1648 error

ut
Level 2

I decided to uninstall and reinstall Premier 2019.  Of course, when I tried to uninstall, I received the 1648 error and could not uninstall turbotax 2019.  I looked at Microsoft errors for uninstall and 1648 and ran their tool to correct the uninstall problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-[product key removed]ams-being-i...

Then reinstalled TurboTax 2019 Premier.  It updated everything without a problem.

pakhong
Returning Member

Hi I am encountering the same issue as you described.  I am done with my returns and ready to transmit electronically however the software is preventing it unless I do the Turbotax Fed update.  My question is if I follow your steps below of running running the microsoft tool then remove and re-install the Turbo tax 2019 program, will my completed FED and STATE returns be still there or did you have to start preparing your returns from scratch again?  Kindly advise and confirm.  Thank you.

kdlombardo
Returning Member

I was getting the same 1648 Error and could not update my TurboTax 2020 Software but I had already filed my taxes.  The issue occurred after a major update from Windows 10 that TurboTax 2020 would not update.  I tried the manually update file option and that did not work (originally I may have started with a 1603 error).  I was then led to a .Net Framework Issue but it was up-to-date.  Hence, I rolled back my Microsoft Updates and then that just made everything worse - I could not open TurboTax at all anymore and got a sequence error if I tried to open the software and/or open the tax file.  Every time I tried to install and/or uninstall I got the 1648 error.    I did everything in all of the articles but never got to this article until I googled the error. 

Running the Tool does not remove your tax returns and it fixed my ability to Install/Uninstall TurboTax 2020 so that I can now re-install TurboTax 2020 and get to my return within TurboTax (and updates successfully ran).  I found this article after I spent approximately 3 1/2 hours on the phone with the sweetest Intuit TurboTax support analyst but she only found what I found.  I don't know how we did not find this article in the TurboTax support.  Thanks for the Microsoft Tool - I will definitely safe that linkage for future reference!!!

kdlombardo
Returning Member

Thank you - you are a life saver for fixes my TurboTax 2020 - I have lost hours on this - thanks again!!!

This suggestion worked great from the Repair tool on Microsoft website

Canvasinc

You are a ROCK STAR!  This worked for Quickbooks too.  Took a couple of passes.  Used it to help with the uninstall, then tried to use it for install.  It froze, but it got the install beyond the stop point (of 9 previous tries!) That was apparently enough to go back and use control panel to uninstall my old Quickbooks one more time - this time fully apparently.  Then installed and went right through.  This tool cleaned up the registry enough to get beyond the missing patches.

Thank you!

JohnTex

Thanks!  I had the exact same problem.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies