Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can nondeductible contribution basis for inherited RMD be skipped & saved?

Because TurboTax doesn't support the ability to e-file if you have a RMD from an inherited IRA with a nondeductible contributions (see:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/feedback-need-support-for-distribution-from-inher... ) , does anyone know if I can skip putting in the basis this year, and just "save" it all for future years?

Ignoring the nondeductible contribution basis this year doesn't cost me that much this.  But if by skipping this year, I throw away the entire basis for all future years, that does cost me quite a bit.

Everything I've read says not to file by paper this year.  Perhaps next year, either the IRS will be able to handle paper returns again, or TurboTax will have addressed this problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You could efile and then paper-file an Amended Return later to report the non-deductible basis from your inherited IRA on Form 8606.

Click this link for a workaround.

This link has info on How to Trigger Form 8606

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have heard of the above workaround, thank you.  But I'd still like to know the answer to my question before I decide what to do.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You want to have continuity. It's not a good idea to forgo having an official record of your actions as opposed to plugging something in at a later date and then having to justify it to the IRS. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies