Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sidneyd0

Can my father claim me as dependent if I filled my own taxes saying I was independent? I’m 19, not a full time student, I work full time, and he dose not pay for more than half of my living expen

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can my father claim me as dependent if I filled my own taxes saying I was independent? I’m 19, not a full time student, I work full time, and he dose not pay for more than half of my living expen

Did you e-File? Your father can try to claim you but he will have to do it on paper.

Since you already filed, you could be OK.

You will know shortly.

If over age 18 and not a full-time student AND your gross income was more the $4,200 in 2019 then you cannot be a dependent.  If you were claimed then your father needs to amend and remove you or he will receive a big tax bill in about a year or so for the back tax, interest and penalties.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
sidneyd0

Hello thank you so much for answering, I did efile in February my dad recently within the last couple weeks he did efile as well

@fanfare 

sidneyd0

Hello thank you for replying I appreciate it. My father most likely will refuse to take me off as a dependent even if it means he gets fined in the future. Do you know if this now no longer qualifies me for a stimulus check? Also, is there any place I can file a claim aganced him for incorrectly claiming me? Any advice would help thank you so much 

@macuser_22 

If you did not check the box that you can be claimed as a dependent then your fathers e-file will reject since a SSN cannot be filed more than once.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies