turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Davenb
Returning Member

Can I pay federal and state taxes owed through turbo tax when I efile

Is there any way to find out what date I requested the payment to be made to the irs after I have filed my return 

Davenb
Returning Member

How do I find out the date that I chose after I sent my return? I just want make sure it will get there on time

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can print a filing copy of your return to view your filing instructions.

Printing a copy of your return after e-file

@Davenb

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Davenb
Returning Member

Thank you, but I do not see anything. Although I do remember entering my bank info while doing the taxes this year for the irs to take the payment.

and the printed forms look different for me. I do not see the instructions pages like before.

@Davenb wrote:

Thank you, but I do not see anything. Although I do remember entering my bank info while doing the taxes this year for the irs to take the payment.

and the printed forms look different for me. I do not see the instructions pages like before.

How you chose to pay the federal taxes owed will be on the Filing Instructions page and will also be on the Federal Information Worksheet in Part V

To access your current year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

Davenb
Returning Member

Thank you! This was helpful.

Hi, my payment was returned for 'insufficient funds' , will the IRS attempt to make another withdrawal before the May 17 deadline? There are now enough funds to cover the direct debit.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

The IRS will not resubmit a dishonored "check or other commercial payment instrument (debit?)", but the clearing house may.  It's up to you to decide whether to wait and see if the clearinghouse resubmits it to the bank, or whether you should make an additional payment.

From IRS Topic No. 206 Dishonored Payments

My check (payment) didn't clear. What now?

• At times, taxpayers will call the IRS because they received a Letter 608C, Dishonored Check Penalty Explained, stating that their payment was dishonored and returned from a financial institution unpaid. When this letter is sent out to the taxpayer, the check is determined to be unpaid and the IRS won't resubmit it for payment. The IRS doesn't resubmit checks or other commercial payment instruments a second time for payment.
  • When a check or other commercial payment instrument isn't paid, however, the clearinghouse does frequently resubmit it to the bank.
  • The clearinghouse, not the IRS, determines whether or not to resubmit a payment so the IRS doesn't know if the payment instrument will be submitted a second time or not by the clearinghouse. It's up to you to decide whether to wait and see if the clearinghouse resubmits it to the bank, or whether you should make an additional payment.
  • If your check or other commercial payment instrument is resubmitted and there are sufficient funds in your bank account to cover it, the check will be paid and not returned to the IRS, so you won't be charged the dishonored check penalty. If the payment is honored after the due date, however, you may be charged interest and a penalty for the late payment. We'll notify you if a balance becomes due on your account.
HAM3

Can you pay NYS taxes by direct debit through turbotax?

Thank you! I actually had to log out and then back in to get this to work. I really shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops just to get the info, it's ridiculous! I kept expecting to need to enter my info to pay at some point - this is the first year I've had to pay taxes - and it never happened. 

The filing instructions should be included by default, imho. 

umbooboo1933
Returning Member

Turbotax did not offer the option 

yes

mamajo111

This just happened to me! April 15, 2022 I edited and gave my debit info, but did not get a confirmation number. It is now April 18th, 2022 (tax due date), and I have no idea if my information went through as it should have. There must be a way to fix this. Using TurboTax is supposed to be helpful, not stressful! 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If you chose to have them withdraw from your bank account, generally, the funds are withdrawn on the payment date you specified if your return has been accepted. If you still don't see the debit 7-10 days after your return has been accepted and your specified date, you will need to call the IRS e-file Payment Services which is listed in the link below, if this is a federal tax payment you owe. If you didn't specify a date, then April 18th is the default payment date.

When will my tax payment go through?

@mamajo111

mamajo111

Yes, but then if it didn’t go through (I scheduled it to be paid on the 15th, but it hasn’t been debited yet and it is the 18th), I will be penalized financially for it being a “late” payment.There must be a better way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies